Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Should teachers be allowed to use cellphones in the classroom?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM
  • 36 Replies

When I was picking up my little girls from school, I noticed a few of the teachers talking on their cellphones (daily) while standing out their in the car loop. They are supposed to be watching the kids get in the car and walk the kids to the door.

Then I see a few teachers in the halls talking on their cellphones... okay its between classes, Im okay with this. Then I asked the girls if their teachers used their phones in the classroom, and was told yes but only when they watch a movie. Or only when someone calls them, like their husband or kids. I asked my oldest if her teacher last year used her phone in the classroom.. and I got a big yes! This aggrevates me. They are suppost to be teaching, not talking on the phone.

How do you feel about teachers using their cellphones for personal calls during school time?

by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcnattmom
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I believe that they should be allowed to have one but not use it for general conversation. That is ridiculous. My son is 12 and has autism and epilepsy, so I see the need for it because his teachers has had to call me for seizures when they have been at the track during p.e. But even with my situation I think that the social use of the phone should not be permitted.

singlemomof2nok
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I am okay with using their cellphone in the classroom but only when the kids are not there (like when they have PE, art, or at recess) 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I agree with the pp's that a cell phone is important to have.

I work in a highschool level ASD classroom and our classroom telephone can only make local calls and no calls to cell phone numbers, some of our students live in other towns and travel to us daily. The classroom teacher uses her phone often to get in touch with parents.

I do not think that is is okay for teachers to be making personal calls during school time especially if they are supposed to watching children who are getting picked up at the end of the day.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hell no!  Tell the principle.  If it is after school hours they can use their cell phone.

gkm15099
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I have my cell phone on me at school and my family knows that's it for EMERGENCY USE only!  I would not teach if I could not have my cell on me, because what if my children got sick at school and I needed to go get them. 

Besides, my cellphone is a tool I use to keep my high schoolers undercontrol...They act up, I'll whip out my phone and call their parents!  I've only ever done it one time, but they all know I will do it and they don't push me because of it!

shymom24
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Nope, they should have to be off or on vibrate in their purse/drawer if they are going to have them. If there is an emergency they can be contacted the same way parents have to go about reaching their kids. They should be doing their job of teaching. JMO

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

keyawin
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I think if the children are not allowed cell phones in class the teacher shouldnt be either......unless of course its an emergeny.

owensmom34
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I think it is okay to have for emergency situations but not when the kids are supposed to be getting their attention in class. 

My3angelbabies
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I dont think that they should be aloud to have them in the classrooms. Here where my 14 year old goes to school if they are even seen with their cell phones out they get yelled at. Why should the teachers get special privileges? Yes they are adults but it is showing the kids that they can get away with it and the kids will think they can do. So I still say no they should not be able to use a cell phone in school. There are phones in a school you dont need the cells there.

peachwine
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I agree with having a phone for emergencies.  The world these days is too mean not to have some way to get help to a classroom. I just think they have no buisness texting or talking when they should be watching and teaching our children. Glad Im not the only one that feels this way.  group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN