Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

At what age do you think it is appropriate kids to give a more personal gift for Valentine's day to their friends or boyfriends/girlfriends? 

**reworded a little ;o)**

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charmed7up
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM

To who?

I only give a gift to my husband. My kids get cards if they are lucky. :)

singlemomof2nok
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Charmed7up:

To who?

I only give a gift to my husband. My kids get cards if they are lucky. :)

From your son/daughter to their friends or boyfriend/girlfriends?

SouthernMama08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Depends really.  For me, when I was little, I gave those little cards to my friends because we HAD to in school.  I didn't give a personal gift until I started dating my husband because there was nobody I wanted to give one to.

I have a friend, her youngest daughter is11 and she's been 'going steady' with a boy for like 3 years now.  Every Valentine's day this little boy saves up his money to buy my friend's daughter a gift.  Last year it was a locket (okay, so it was a cheap locket, but still).

I think as long as the child *wants* to give the gift, and the gift is too costly (sorry, I'm letting my 10 year old son send 30 or 40 dollars on a girl)...but if he wants to spend $10 (of his own money) to buy something sweet then why not?  As long as it's an appropart (sp) gift.

LilBldSoccerMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I totally agree with this.......

Quoting SouthernMama08:

Depends really.  For me, when I was little, I gave those little cards to my friends because we HAD to in school.  I didn't give a personal gift until I started dating my husband because there was nobody I wanted to give one to.

I have a friend, her youngest daughter is11 and she's been 'going steady' with a boy for like 3 years now.  Every Valentine's day this little boy saves up his money to buy my friend's daughter a gift.  Last year it was a locket (okay, so it was a cheap locket, but still).

I think as long as the child *wants* to give the gift, and the gift is too costly (sorry, I'm letting my 10 year old son send 30 or 40 dollars on a girl)...but if he wants to spend $10 (of his own money) to buy something sweet then why not?  As long as it's an appropart (sp) gift.

*Tressa*

lyranightshade
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I'd say middle school for friends.. I hope my son (and future children) will reserve dating until High School.. but.. I might make an exception for 13 and above. Of course, they'll have to earn the money to buy said gifts. I'll be happy to exchange chores or back rubs for money! lol I started giving more personal gifts to friends when I was in middle school, but never had a boyfriend in High School.. wait, senior year, I did, but we weren't together on Valentine's day. In fact, until I met my first husband, I never had a date on Valentines day. lol That's niether here, nor there.

So, to reiterate.. 13 plus.

monshine2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Jr high...

Charmed7up
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM

We always had fund raisers in school - like a candy gram kind of thing. So that was all we ever exchanged. But I agree with a lot of the previous posters.

jswmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Quoting lyranightshade:

I'd say middle school for friends.. I hope my son (and future children) will reserve dating until High School.. but.. I might make an exception for 13 and above. Of course, they'll have to earn the money to buy said gifts. I'll be happy to exchange chores or back rubs for money! lol I started giving more personal gifts to friends when I was in middle school, but never had a boyfriend in High School.. wait, senior year, I did, but we weren't together on Valentine's day. In fact, until I met my first husband, I never had a date on Valentines day. lol That's niether here, nor there.

So, to reiterate.. 13 plus.

CarrieZack
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I agree with the emerging consensus here. Junior high/ middle school I'd say fine if they want to spend some of their own money on something age-appropriate.

chzypoofs
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

i feel if my kids are thoughtful enough to wanna do it, any age is fine...but there is a limit to the amount.

Monica-2.png picture by tenhagent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)