Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme hair loss 4 months post partum

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am losing hair in clumps now it has been going on for a month.  It wont stop its to the p oint you can see my scalp.  I am in a wedding party in 3 months and thinking about stepping out because if this continues I will have to wear a wig :(  Has any one had this and how long does it last?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kmstockwell
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I lost a lot of hair (still am) but this sounds extreme.   I would call your doc and ask them to check your thyroid.  I just heard that some women develop thyroid issues during pregnancy.. most of the time these issues reverse post-partum, but sometimes they don't.  Cant hurt to check.

fairymom2316
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

That never happened to me, have you talked to your doctor?

DeeDee323
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I've been losing insane amounts of hair especially in the shower but no bald spots. Definitely speak to your doctor, as a PP suggested some women develop a thyroid imbalance that causes the bad hair loss. It happened to my ex-sister-in-law after her first child - her scalp literally had giant bald spots; it almost looked as if she had gone through chemotherapy.

joaniedanger
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM

ooooh  that stinks....no matter how much hair is lost!  I'm sorry to hear that mama!  BUT on the other hand, maybe wearing a wig wouldn't be so bad....I mean you could have some totally different hair than you have ever had?  I agree with the ladies above me, talk to your doc....but also you might try some hair growth stimulating shampoos like Nioxin or DooGro ( I think Pravana also has one as well)...I personally had success with those.  Good luck!  I hope it gets better for you! 

Carey2006
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I would make a doctor's appointment...tell them what's going on and maybe even suggest that they check your thyroid. (blood test) *HUGS!* 

lovemykids73
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I always lose tons and tons of hair after I have a baby and it takes over a year to grow back!  But I have really thick hair, so no one notices except me.  I would get your thyroid checked and talk to your doctor about options.  If nothing else, you can use small clip-in hair pieces.  My friend did that for her wedding when she was having thyroid problems and you would never be able to tell.  It's no reason to miss someone's event!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)