Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eggs and Bunnies?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 3 Replies

Yes, I'm pagan and some were wondering where the tradition of colored eggs and bunny came from.  It is from a holiday we call Ostara (the spring equinox).  It is the time of the beginning of the planting time, of rebirth of the earth and a renewal of the earth's fertility and prosperity.  It is celebrated with a feast of salted and dried meats (ham today) and stored, preserved fruit and veggies mixed with some early fresh greens and fruits.  Eggs and the Bunny are pagan in origin.  The eggs are for rebirth and prosperity, sweets for a sweet harvest, and the Bunny (we call it the Ostara Hare) is from a pagan story:

The great mother goddess was wandering through the Earth and awaking it from its long winter sleep when she came across a little wren half frozen in the snow.  The bird was young and upon seeing the Great Mother begged to be saved from dieing in the snow and sang her a beautiful song.  The Goddess was so moved by the pleas and her song that she changed her into a hare.  The transformation was truly blessed because the hare was now immortal but also retained some of her bird abilities by laying colorful eggs that she gives to the believers of the Lord and Lady as a blessing for the growing time. 

During the rise of the Christian church, Pagans had to hide their baskets of colorful eggs and treats for family and friends otherwise they would be imprisoned, tortured, killed and their land taken way (even the children weren't spared).  The church paid local children to find these hidden eggs and turn in the receivers and the givers (that's why some put money in the eggs), and the church could then claim the land for themselves.  Sometimes part of the land forfeited was given to the child's family as a reward too. 

Well I hope that helped some of you with some unanswered questions.  Happy Easter (Joyous Ostara)

easter egg holding easter egg

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ErikaRobin
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM

I just told my husband this tonight!  He's never know what the connection of the Easter Bunny and EGGS was. 

Love that! 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Merry meet and blessed be..... Thanks for sharing.

jeweldog
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I just told my husband this tonight!  He's never know what the connection of the Easter Bunny and EGGS was. 

Love that! 

No problem.  When I was little I asked my parents and they said they didn't know.  I only found out after converting to Paganism myself and I just love the story of the hare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)