Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was my reaction too harsh?!?!?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

My 5yr and 2 1/2 yr twins share a bedroom and I'm constantly going in and picking it up before bedtime so that I don't step on toys or whatever in the middle of the night if I need to go in there. Well I have been trying to get all the girls to pick up after themselves and help with cleaning up toys. Well last night I went in and said ok girls lets pick up toys so we can get our bath and get ready for bed. My twins instantly start picking up toys, so I turned to my 5yr and said come on B let's get these picked up. She looked and me and said I didn't get them out I ain't cleaning them up. For one she did get her tote of Barbies and polly pockets out and they were all over the floor, but she refused to pick them up. So, I finished picking up all the toys and preceded to take all the totes that had toys in them and put them in the garage. She got upset and said those are my toys don't throw them away, and I calmly told her I wasn't throwing them away I was putting them up until she learned to pick up when asked. She still has some toys in her room to play with. My DH said I was being too harsh and she is too little and don't really understand and I say bull sh*t. I'm just tired of being the only one who cleans up the toys, and feel that they are all old enough to help or pay a price if they don't.

What do you think too harsh or a valuable lesson?

If you have a child or chilren who suffer with Laryngeal Cleft or aspiration, come join my group on CafeMom! Discuss the ups and downs of everyday life, or fears about upcoming testing. I would Love to meet other families who are going through this as well.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109703

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marshsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I think if she is old enough to say "I didn't make the mess and I'm not cleaning it up" then she is clearly capable of understanding the concept of cleaning up after yourself.  I think you did just fine, and I would do the same thing.

oliver6
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:03 AM

No, not at all. She is 5, not to young to understand. i would have done the same thing! good job

Ray_Lynn4
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Thanks ladies! I was starting to feel bad after DH said something about it, and the fact that it was mainly her toys that got taken away. The twins helped pick up all their toys so I didn't take theirs away just hers.

igot2crazyboys
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

my boys are 5 and 6 and they have been cleaning there rooms for close to 2 yrs...they say i didnt make the mess i say well its your room ask your brother to help clean up the mess...they dont like it but they do get it cleaned up....i think you did the right thing.

LilBldSoccerMom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I think you did the right thing.  Now I would let her earn them back a toy (or group of toys) at a time, by doing something that helps you.  That's what my DD would have to do. 

Good job Mom!

Wendums71
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM

No, not too harsh at all.  I have a 5 yr old and I know she clearly understand that she needs to pick up her toys and yet she still doesn't.  I need to do what you did, I've threated but I've never followed through and that's my problem.  Good for you.

jlm2676
by Jen on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Nope I don't think you were too harsh.  I would do the same thing.

Emy520
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I think u were right to say to her what u did. I have done the same thing. So dont feel bad she is old enough to understand. good

hypermamaz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM

we've done the garbage bag MANY MANY MANY times. been doing it for a few years now. all the toys go in a garbage bag - new house the toy room door gets CLOSED.

and until they EARN the toys back they do not get anything. they're 9,6 and 3.

to earn them they clean up their rooms, help with chores, and prove that they can clean up, and take care of their belongings.

you are NOT being too HARSH!

teach them responsibility NOW so that in the future you won't have to deal with this crap (our toyroom is currently CLOSED because of the same reason)

TheLastLetter
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:39 AM

This

Quoting marshsmom:

I think if she is old enough to say "I didn't make the mess and I'm not cleaning it up" then she is clearly capable of understanding the concept of cleaning up after yourself.  I think you did just fine, and I would do the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)