• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

family tradition going to scrambles

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM
  • 10 Replies

every easter we have a get together and let the young kids get the eggs and I am talking about dozens one year we had about 10 dozen real and 7 dozen plaztic. and there was only 7 kids. this year I decided to let my husbands brothers wife do it at there house. we moved and don't have the room. so, we are not only having easter now with the family she invited her friend she sees every other day and her husband and kid, and then also her other friend and her kid who is 16 and her husband. I thought it was a family affair not a friend get together. i am so mad I am just not going. I feel bad for the kids. but I know what is going to happen. the adults are going to hang out in the garage and the kids are going to do what they please. or they will end up with my mother in law and her mom. who is 85 years old. I just am so mad about it all. it's a family thing not a friend thing. I don't want to spend my childrens easter with friends she sees all the time. we don't get to see them at all.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daisy_g
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I understand exactly how you feel. But unfortunately these things happened all the time. When my granny was alive we all the time had great family Easters with a lot of fun, eggs, lunch. We also have a special tradition to decorate our eggs so we made it all together in my granny home.... However, after she passed away... everything has changed... no more family Easter week...

But anyways, just go because of the kids... it's only once a year. I'm sure they're going to have a lot of fun.

Good luck!

craftymomx3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I know I probably will, I just needed to express so I will get it out before sunday. I don't get it. she spends every weekend with them and holidays with us, now we get to share that to with her friends.

Mommy2One881
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Seems like your cutting off your nose to spite your face. You say you never get to see them but on holidays but now you won't see them because they are going to have their friends there and you don't want to share.

I always thought the holidays were about spending time with family, friends and all loved ones. I think your kids might be sad also that they have to miss out on the Easter egg hunt, because you don't want to go because your sil invited friends over to her own house. Do you know for a fact the kids will be doing as they please while the adults are in the garage? I would just suck it up and go. Go with the saying the more the merrier!!

craftymomx3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I know I am going. I just can't stand how the other moms act, they are so different. they all act like diva princess I get this and that done go out with out my husband to the bars weekly. and so on. I just don't share that understanding.

MedicMommyAnne
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I wouldn't be too upset about it.  If they are really close friends then what is really wrong with them coming also?  Do those friends have family in the area?  Maybe she invited them so they would have someone to spend the day with.  I know before I was married I spent tons of time with my BFF and her family.  I spent every holiday there and so did several of our other friends. 

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I consider my good friends to be my family.  I don't see anything wrong with inviting them.  It is not at your house so you do not have control over how the day plays out.

I really think you should go.  You will have a great time.  So what if it isn't exactly like previous years.  Sometimes you just need to roll with it.

KTMOM
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM

My friends are like family to me,  so I wouldn't think it was strange to invite friends for a special holiday.  I invited a friend to Christmas at my mom's because she didn't have anywhere to go and couldn't afford a plane ticket home,  and my mom and grandparents welcomed her with open arms and made her feel at home. 

Is there something you don't like about these friends?  I am sure that you could still have a nice time and hide easter eggs and enjoy yourself.  Please don't let the fact that some other people are going to be there ruin your holiday.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Vent away get it all out now, then go and have a good time with your kids and family.

craftymomx3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I will go I just needed to vent, and now, I guess, it will be ok. it is just for a few hours. I didn't realize how many people enjoy holidays with there friends also. I never have really. my family growing up, was just family at holidays. things do change don't they.

jeweldog
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I can understand you frustrations... just keep in mind that my family live far away from each other so my friends are more like family to us and we include them in our family gatherings.  No one minds at all and enjoy meeting and getting to know our friends and soon they think of them as family too.  Go for the kids at least and help watch them if you can. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)