Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else bipolar??

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

After going to a counselor on Tuesday she pretty much confirmed my biggest fear; that I was bipolar. I have never been diagnosed with it due to fear of meds, no ins, and being rejected when I do get health insurance. Either way I have done my homework looking at various sites and that has confirmed it even more.

I would be what is called a rapid cycling bipolar. I can be extremely happy one minute and then think of something sad the next and drop way down. I am always those two extremes and never seem to really just float in the middle. That probably also explains why I can never sleep ( my brain doesn't want to turn off) and I always doing things on impluse including spending. I don't try to spend large sums of money but over time it does get costly.

Anyhow I was just trying to see if anyone else out there is like this and what ha worked for you. I know different meds work different for everyone; however it would be nice just to get some ideas on how they have worked for everyone.

Thanks!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

My step daughter was diagnosed many years ago.  As well, my exhusband is bipolar also.  IT SCARES ME that a "counselor" confirmed bipolar.  Counselors are not medical doctors and can not diagnose a condition.  For my step daughter to be diagnose, it took her father, me and her counselor of many years filling out seperately, a 300 questionaire.  My step daughter filled out a 400 question questioanire.  These were given to us by a psychiatrist.  She also met for hours with my daughter, reviewed past counseling records, school records, behavioral records, etc.

There is way more to bi polar than "cycling", impulse spending & being unable to sleep.  Their are more that 20 different symptoms.  You don't need to have all of them but typically you have more than 1/2.  Also bipolar people usually have another disorder that goes along with it.  bipolar is not something you could have controled on your own throughout life.  Typically people with bi polar CAN NOT FUNCTION in daily life without being medicated ALONG WITH regular counseling.

PLEASE...get an opinion from someone licensed & educated enough to diagnose. 

mckennasmum
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM

My mother and sister are both Bi-Polar.  I have dealt with it all my life.  If you want to talk PM me I will be on at lunch 12 Pacific time and we can talk.  I know some of the meds that they are on but not all. 

keyawin
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

My mom is as well as most of the family. My sons dad is and now the dr and counsler my son has been seeing are saying my son is showing signs of being bi polar also. So I have been around it my whole life. If you ever need some one to talk to PM I am a good listener.

wolfmomma30
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Quoting mrswillie:

My step daughter was diagnosed many years ago.  As well, my exhusband is bipolar also.  IT SCARES ME that a "counselor" confirmed bipolar.  Counselors are not medical doctors and can not diagnose a condition.  For my step daughter to be diagnose, it took her father, me and her counselor of many years filling out seperately, a 300 questionaire.  My step daughter filled out a 400 question questioanire.  These were given to us by a psychiatrist.  She also met for hours with my daughter, reviewed past counseling records, school records, behavioral records, etc.

There is way more to bi polar than "cycling", impulse spending & being unable to sleep.  Their are more that 20 different symptoms.  You don't need to have all of them but typically you have more than 1/2.  Also bipolar people usually have another disorder that goes along with it.  bipolar is not something you could have controled on your own throughout life.  Typically people with bi polar CAN NOT FUNCTION in daily life without being medicated ALONG WITH regular counseling.

PLEASE...get an opinion from someone licensed & educated enough to diagnose. 

Yes misread me, my apologies. She had said that I showed signs of having bi-polar and reccommended me going to a psychiatrist to get it evaluated. The first thing she told me was that she could not diagnose me so I know she was doing the right thing. She was not trying to play doctor by anymeans.

People with type 1 bipolar I know cannot function and I am blessed that I did not get that end of the stick. I have a friend who's wife is  has that type and yes she can not function most days let alone get out of bed at a decent hour.

Also, I have a ton other things besides the 2 I mentioned I just gave those as an example. I have taken webmd's test and although its brief and is not a psychiatrist, etc; that even proves I am more than likely bipolar.

Anyhow, I am not saying hey someone tell me I am or am not; I'm taking the neccessary steps to find out a true dg. What I was asking was if you knew someone that had bipolar and what its like.

I apologize if this comes out harsh; I sincerely apologize if so. I just wanted to clarify that y'all are not trying to diagnose me and get some other stories of family living with bipolar. TY :)

MargotRanae
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Hi. I am not bipolar, but we have a relative who is; she is 37. I got a great resource a few years ago offline to better understand. I'll look it up and message you. I like it because it comes from a reputable source and it is focused on women. I also think that utilizing medical professionals is very important, regardless of any advice your receive. They have experience and see the patterns of a multitude of patients.

I messaged you my thoughts : ) Best!

mama_legs
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM

you are not alone. i am bi-polar and i hate it. my family hate it too. sometimes im happy and sometimes i am not but that goes with the territory. so my doctor diagnosed me 10 years ago and put me on medicine ever since. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. my medicine has been changed so many times due to that fact. hang in there.

Audra209
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I have 2 daughters diagnosed with Bi-Polar along with other things.. I wish u much support... as i needed it and my daughters.. to understand how to deal with it and what meds.. control it and my kids have been on just about everything out there.. one is ok - the other has been to several Psychatrists and still have not found the perfect marriage.... and have been trying since the 1st grade.. and she is in the 8th now.. so many hugs.. and def hang in there.. Remember U are not alone.. So many people are going thru it also......I hope u find meds and support that u need and anything esle that u may need to help u understand this.....

mamaxs4
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I experience rapid cycling, mood swings that are uncontrollable, feelings that pop up that are uncontrollable, extreme anxiety, I can sleep sometimes but I have to go to bed around midnight or else I can't sleep.  I have been sexually impulsive. I am impulsive when it comes to buying things...my hubby has taken complete control over the money or else I would spend, spend, spend.   Sometimes I feel like I am going to explode. i can never seem to finish anything I start....I have been suicidal in the past and right now it's at it's worst.  I go on rampages almost nightly, right now I feel as though I'll never be happy again....it's just getting worse the older I get, but I have felt something like this for as long as I can remember.  It's terrible and I can't wait for the last part of summer, early fall to get here so I can remember what a some-what normal state feels like.   I feel like I could scream...run...or both just to get this out, but I know it won't work. It just won't go away.

Andl2ea
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM

i am bipolar and have been taking medication for it for over a year now.  my doctor put me on the medication Lamictol.  it works really great for me.  i went to counselors and doctors numerous times thinking i had depression and none of the medication they gave me worked.  ive felt like this for as long as i can remember.  i was scared to go to a  psychiatrist because i didnt want to be labelled.  but he really helped me alot.  i thought for sure the medication wasnt going to work again but it really helps so much.  Lamictol is a mood stabilizer and it helps me stay calm throughout the day.  i dont feel "high" or anything i just feel normal. 

i went to see the psychiatrist because i was always on edge, irritable, and couldnt sleep.  on the days i was in a good mood my mind would go a mile a minute, i would talk really fast, and i would spend money on things just like you.  it wasnt out of control just buying things i really didnt need.  on my bad days id yell at my kids and husband.  i wouldnt want to be around anyone because EVERYTHING made me angry.  it was really embarressing to.  i had family members tell me that i dont like anyone and it really made me mad because they didnt understand what i was going through.  another thing that helped was that i got a book off amazon called The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide.  it goes through every type of bipolar disorder, every type of medication you can take including the side effects and the benefits from each.  i didnt know this, its wierd, but people that are bipolar crave carbs for some reason.  after i started taking the medication i lost alot of weight.  which made me even happier.  it is true that there is no miracle drug out there and you are still going to have bad days sometimes but for the most part you will feel better if you get the right medication.  and do not be afraid to tell the doctor you arent comfortable with a medication.  the doctor i have tried to give me 3 different medications and i only agreed on one.  i hope you get medication that really helps you and keep in mind that it does take a bit for it to work.  and grats on finally getting some help :) 

btw im type 2 bipolar and i can function just fine everyday and was able to before i got medication.  i just wasnt happy at all.  not all people that are bipolar cannot function.  it really depends on how bad off you are.  thats why there are different types.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
mommaspride
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I have been diagnosed with being bipolar. I am on celexa right now and have been for almost 2 years. I still have some episodes but not like I was before getting the medicine. The only bad side effect is that I have gained a lot of weight from it. I am thinking about getting switched to Welbutrin which is another good med for bipolar and depression.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)