• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My grandpa just died

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

My grandpa aka papa died this morning after being sick for awhile. He was always such a joker and so fun always teasing us and making us laugh. My little girl is almost 5 years old and she knows her Great grandpa is dead but I don't think she really understands what dead is. How do I prepare her for the funeral? What do I tell her? We live really far away so she didn't really know him but still she is old enough to remember this when she gets older and ask me questions. And how do I prepare a 2 year for a funeral she won't understand any of it I don't think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I think both are a bit young to take to a funeral home...especially for someone they barely know.  The two year old probably won't be quiet during this and you need to conseder all their.  I am truely sorry for your loss.  You are in my prayers.

kamrynlily07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my grandfather in December.  At the time my daughter was 2 months away from turning 3.  She did fine at the funeral.  I just told her we were going to church because G-Daddy went to Heaven.  Hugs~

Rayray1976
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM

When my mother died my son was two. He didn't have any questions, except he'd occassionally explain "nanny is working" because he knew she was missing when at one time she was always there. We didn't explain anything to him because we thought he was too young to understand anyway - he was just learning to speak0. I just bring her up in conversation often, and show him pictures so he won't forget entirely. When he does have questions, and I'm sure he will, I'll just explain to him that there is a time for everyone who lives to die and that it is a part of life.

And, I'm very sorry for your loss.

singlemomof2nok
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

My dad passed away a little over a year ago.  The one thing I remember telling my kids and they were 5 & 6 at the time, was that papa isn't hurting anymore because he was with Jesus.  They were still upset, but it made them feel better to know that papa's pain was gone.  ((Hugs)) to you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss.

CnMe31
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Mine died when my kids were the same ages as yours.  My daughter went to funeral, but my son didn't.  She didn't understand, but she knew it was a sad time.  I cried for several days straight.

MedicMommyAnne
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I'm so sorry for your family's loss

jeweldog
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I'm very sorry for you loss... When my grandpa died, my parents didn't let me or my sister go (I was 7 at the time).  I always felt like I never got to really say good-bye to him and I always wish I could say good-bye.  Just tell your child about heaven (or what ever your beliefs are) and that her Papa is there now so she needs to be good at the funeral.  Tell her it is to say good-bye to them and wish them well on their journey.

myangels310
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

my prayers are with you

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

artsymom0329
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM

So sorry for your loss.~~hugs~~

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)