Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear Scratching

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

My baby is 5 months old and scratches/swats at her ears a lot during the day.  She doesn't cry, and it's not ALL the time, but it's slowly increased in the past couple of days.  The ears do not look red at all, except one that she scratched with a long nail and broke a little skin in  her ear.  She doesn't have her ears pierced either.  She has, however, started teething.  Her bottom two teeth have broken the skin, and the top ones seem to be starting their decent.

Could there be a connection between the teething and the ear scratching/swatting?  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ECMOM970
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

When babies are getting teeth their ears may bother them...I know if I have a tooth ache my ears hurt too! However it could be the start of an infection!

TaraLMartinez
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

When babies are getting teeth their ears may bother them...I know if I have a tooth ache my ears hurt too! However it could be the start of an infection!

stkallu
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Thanks ladies.  I'll give the doctor a call if it persists today.  An ear infection would definitely be a bummer, especially Easter weekend.

meladtke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

my son is always playing with his ears. I think it is more a what are these???? If she is not running a fever or does not appear to be in pain I would not worry about it!

MedicMommyAnne
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

both of my kids tugged at their ears when they were teething. THey also both got fevers with new teeth. My second however got an ear infection every time he got new teeth also.

Lisabrenner
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

mine would always play with their ears...my 21 month old still does when he's tired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)