Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the ONLY ONE???

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 5 Replies

That finds it incredibly FUNNY when things go wrong on the MTV show "My Sweet 16"??? When the spoiled brats don't get what they want from their parents ( when the parents have FINALLY had ENOUGH and lay down the LAW) or things go incredibly wrong??? I mean seriously if you have that kinda money to spend on your child that's fine, but geez getting your 16 year old kid a $150,000 Mercedes Benz ??? Come on, that car is more MATURE than the one driving it... I'd be THRILLED IF my parents even took me to a USED car lot and said "Whatever you want hun"... but nope I've worked my ass off for what I've got in life, maybe that is why I appreciate things more that I have. I dunno. I just can't believe that parents that have that kinda money go all out like that and SPOIL and I do mean "SPOIL" their kids. Let their children disrepect them when they aren't getting their way, I saw on one episode where this girl didn't get her way, her mom canceled the credit card she was running up a HUGE HUGE BILL on and she started throwing a fit. It was priceless, she went up to the counter to pay for the two arm loads of clothes and it was DECLINED. I was like "HA HA HA".... She called her mom crying and cursing at her and then threatened the mom by calling her dad...  Her mom was trying to help put the party together which I could see why she'd need or want to, it's was HER DIME that the party was being built up on, and the girl wanted something the mother had once again put her FOOT DOWN ON and she said "NO"... Enough's ENOUGH and once again the girl threw a fit and called her dad, whom said "NO" as well but then in the END the girl got the expensive car she wanted and the HUGE AWESOME party. I just think it's a tad bit rediculious that these parents are spending riduculious amounts of money ( like for the price of a WEDDING) just for a sweet 16. Like I said I can see spending maybe like $250 TOPS ( in my opinion) my kid's birthday party, but spending like $55, 000 on a Sweet 16 party and then an additional $45,000 - $150,000 CARS ( for a 16 yr old)??? Also considering the amount of the huge SPIKE it would cost them in Car Insurance alone for her to even DRIVE it. Seriously, that kinda LIFE would NEVER be mine not even "IF" I could afford to spend that kinda money....  Not BASHING anyone that would love to live this way or let their kids treat them this way... but it just aint the kinda life I'd want for my kids, or even me teaching them how to live like that. I really wonder how these kids will be in the REAL WORLD away from momma and daddy and the REAL WORLD tells them the word that they aren't use to hearing "NO"!!! Because out in the REAL WORLD, you throw a tantrum like the ones they throw, then you either get arrested or Publically IGNORED!!! Where are these kids getting their MORALS taught here??? It's not good when kids aren't being taught to make, set and Acheieve GOALS when they think EVERYTHING they want can and WILL be handed to them with no effort at all and the ONLY EFFORT they put in to getting what they want, is the trantrum they threw to get it... It's SAD!!!!!!!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Undomesticated
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I've never seen the show, but I get where you're coming from.  One of my husbands childhood friends is getting married and she threw a fit when her mom said they couldn' afford her menu choices abd that she would either have to pay for the food herself or change her menu to less expensive dishes. According to her, her wedding iis now ruined. 

As far as I'm concerned, she has it good that her parent are helping her pay for her extravagent wedding.  My dad had just paid for my brothers wedding two years before my husband I got married, so he wasn't able to help financially at all.  So, my husband and I pulled $3000 of our own money together and paid for own wedding.  We and our guests had just as much fun at our $3000 wedding as we have at a more lavish wedding,.

These people need to learn to grow up and take care of themselves.  There are more than enough people in this world who would appreciate even a fraction of that money to help with the things they need, and yet are completely happy with what they have.

Kriket2202
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM

That show angers me. I can not imagine having those brats for kids. My kids even think it's ridiculous!

www.slumberpartiesbykriket.com

virgochild79
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

That show is a mess. The parents are totally clueless and their kids are running them. Even if I did have the money, I would NEVER buy my 16 year old a $150,000 car!  I remember my first car was given to me as a graduation gift and it was a used Ford Aspire! LOL One of the tiniest cars I've ever seen, and it made me want to "aspire" to work and buy myself something bigger and better, but those spoiled brats are always going to expect their parents to give them everything in life, and when they don't get it, they're going to throw a b**** fit!

And why in the world do they need such an alaborate party for turning 16? I can't wait till my daughter turns 16, we'll probably throw her a fabulous Luau party in our backyard and if she's a straight "A" student, she'll get a nice used car to get her to and from school, but she will either have to work a part time job to keep her own gas in her car and to pitch in on her insurance, or keep all her grades up. You have to teach your kids how to work and earn the things they want in life.

wolfmomma30
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I cannot stand those brats either and here is my dr.Shannon intake on it. LOL

Kids that are in a high society like that are playing "Keep up with the Jones' " and infact so are the parents. If you can't high role and play each other up you are considered a nobody. Heck even The Real Housewives shows are the same way. IE.. Lynn from Orange County show threw a big tissy because they wanted a nice home like all of the other wives but they ended up with a eviction notice. Its soo stupid for a regular person but I guess in the higher circles its a battle they face everyday. They just need to get their priorities straight period!

Okay off of my soap box now.

TennesseeVols_1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Yeah I know when I go to either I'm not worried about how the food looks, or how much they paid for it, I'd personally hope they didn't dig too far into their pockets to impress me or anyone else there, but then again that's just the kind of person I am. How much money you got or expensive things you have and wear has never impressed me. Sure I, like everyone else, like to own NICE THINGS, but when I GET "NICE THINGS" it is very few times within a year. But my point is, why spend all that money on a Sweet 16 party and gifts when you can be putting it to good use. Put that money in a trust fund for your child, put it toward something they can benifit from it not flash it around like it eye or arm candy or to build up their GLAM FACTORS. Even a wedding that costs $1000 can be just as glamorous as a $40,000 wedding or higher figure wedding than that. To me a big birthday party can be just the same if not cheaper. It's the meaning behind the moment or event that should matter, not the BLING FACTOR. LOL you can be the Center of attention on that special day WITHOUT having to spend your whole life's savings on just one special day or event.

But I guess dropping $150,000 on a car for a 16 year old (nonetheless) is as simple and worry free as like blowing your nose on a tissue and tossing it for some people. But me as a parent I focus on teaching my kids to respect what you earn, be proud of how you earned it, I'm not ALWAYS gonna be there to Hand things to you. I want my kids to be PROUD of themselves and what they've accomplished in life when they are older instead of telling people, "Oh the things I have and have gotten through my life, my mom and dad gave or bought me, I look at them as my main source of life"... that's just not impressing at all to hear from anyone ( JMO). To me what's impressing to hear is how you got to where your at in life and how HARD you had to work to get there and get the things you wanted or want by working for them yourself.  ;0)

Quoting Undomesticated:

I've never seen the show, but I get where you're coming from.  One of my husbands childhood friends is getting married and she threw a fit when her mom said they couldn' afford her menu choices abd that she would either have to pay for the food herself or change her menu to less expensive dishes. According to her, her wedding iis now ruined. 

As far as I'm concerned, she has it good that her parent are helping her pay for her extravagent wedding.  My dad had just paid for my brothers wedding two years before my husband I got married, so he wasn't able to help financially at all.  So, my husband and I pulled $3000 of our own money together and paid for own wedding.  We and our guests had just as much fun at our $3000 wedding as we have at a more lavish wedding,.

These people need to learn to grow up and take care of themselves.  There are more than enough people in this world who would appreciate even a fraction of that money to help with the things they need, and yet are completely happy with what they have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)