Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Would YOU Do?? (Baby Name Situation)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Matthew?

Lawrence?

Pick a non-family name?

Don't use a middle name at all?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

I have a situation that's been bugging me for months..My boyfriend and I were on the outs for about a week..a couple months ago. I had been trying to figure out a middle name for our unborn son, Connor, and my boyfriend didn't have any input one way or the other. My Dad, a former Marine, can be very bossy/over-bearing at times. I was visiting my parents and was basically thinking outloud when I told them I was thinking of using my Dad's first name for Connor's middle name, which is Lawrence. Although the whole time I've known that we were having a boy, I've wanted to use my boyfriend's first name, Matthew, which he asked me not to use (he says he doesn't like his name and wouldn't wish his name on anyone). My boyfriend and I got confronted about the baby's name at the baby shower last weekend (it was a co-ed baby shower) and alot of my family said that since my boyfriend picked out the first name, that the middle name should be up to me....I really wanted to be on the same page with my boyfriend on the name..to pick a name out together but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. By the way, My Dad and my boyfriend do NOT care for each other. Also, my boyfriend's middle name is out because that's my ex husband's first name and my Dad's middle name is out because that's my oldest son's middle name. Every cute middle name I come up with gets shot down by my boyfriend...I'm half-tempted not to give Connor a middle name. Can any one give me any advice?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moonbeam_Sea
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:22 PM

My son has two middle names due to naming after family members.  Would using the two names soften the impact with your boyfriend?  Both Connor Matthew Lawrence sounds pretty good to me...  ;)  No middle name would work ok too.  Naming can be pretty hard stuff.  We didn't finally pick my son's first name until we saw him and I knew which fit him best. (We had three agreed upon possibilities beforehand, though)   Maybe you could wait and see?  (I know not too helpful).  Good luck! 

shaunadale
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Since you have one son named after your father already, your boyfriend does not want to use the name Matthew, I think I would comeup with something else, and try not to use a family member's name. Come up with something else like Connor Drake:)

karaa3
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

why not use both?? connor matthew lawrence or Connor lawrence matthew?? My neice and nephew both have 2 middle names.

singlemomof2nok
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I would just pick a non-family name

tyleviconnor
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Moonbeam: That does have a nice ring to it..I'll have to keep that in mind.  Shaunadale: I have a Tyler David (David is a 6th generation name) and I also have a Dakota Levi (Levi is a 4th generation name)..Drake was one of the cute names I thought of that got shot down ;(  I orginally chose Gauge Anthony (Anthony after my deceased step brother, Scott Anthony) and was set on it..but after someone unknowingly poked fun of the name Gauge, I decided not to go ahead with it. I've really been all over the board with this, it's exhausting!

Shellness
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

how about Conner Anthony?

tyleviconnor
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Connor Anthony was also shot down. The hardest thing about this is my Dad had told my grandmother that I was naming the baby Connor Lawrence..and I told my parents after I found out..that I was only THINKING about Lawrence as a middle name, that it wasn't set in stone and I still wasn't sure what the middle name was going to be yet. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything to anyone and just named the baby myself then kept it a suprise until the birth.

SouthernMama08
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I voted for Lawrence.  Your BF told you that he didn't want to use his name.  So don't.  He picked out the first name...and your other son is named after your father.  So why not just use Lawrence.

BTW- this is way I'm glad that when I was PG...we didn't tell anybody what the name was until after he was born and named! LOL!

Good luck with whatever you choose.  Remember..you fill out the BC! ;-)

Tracyfly
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Connor Sebastian

LuckyStarr28
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Connor Ethan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)