Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you or your spouse had to take a pay-cut at work?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

Due to the economy?  How has this effected your lives? 

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife.and.mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

actually when i quit my job DH got a raise, and since then 3 more.. so it hasnt affected us at all

singlemomof2nok
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

haven't had to take a pay cut, but have not had a raise in a very long time 

MedicMommyAnne
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

nope, but I did lose hours at my job and that resulted in a $5000 a year loss of pay.  Luckily hubby gets yearly raises so it wasn't too much of a blow, plus we could still comfortably pay our bills

oliver6
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

from last October- just a few weeks ago my husband was on a 1 day a week furlough which equals about a 20% pay cut. we've always lived pretty well below our means so it didnt really hurt us to bad, but we did cut back on a lot of our saving and investments.

teri4lance
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

no - in fact dh got a promotion a few months ago to programmanager and that was a grade increase - and we get the annual govt pay increase in Jan. It's good to be a Fed, esp when the economy is bad.

Sorry to anyone who isn't doing well, I sure hope we can get back on track with out destroying our freedoms in the process.

kristielee79
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Thanks to the "success" of GM, my husband lost a job that he had for almost 11 years (he could have stayed and lost all overtime and take a  major pay cut, but he opted for unemployment because he actually made more on that than he would have driving to work). Now, he works as a corrections officer for a state prison here in PA (after 4 weeks of training that he had to WAIT to get paid for and we had NO money at the time because he was technically employed, so he wasn't even getting unemployment...thank GOD for my parents!!), and after being there for a year and a half, he is almost making what he made at his previous job. At first though, it was terribly hard. The C.O. job started out at nearly $30K LESS a year than what he previously made.

karaa3
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

No hubbys company only has volunteer pay cuts. You have to step down from being a store manager to an assistant to get a pay cut.

lilpope3
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

About 2 years ago when our first DD was 6 months old my hubby got a 20% pay cut but something really good came out of it. We are now the budget king & queen :o) We've even had a second DD that we paid for everything out of pocket! But yes I would really like that money back because I would kill for a vacation but all in all we're making it work. And I'm very grateful he still has a job!!!

billssweety
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I had a 15% pay cut for 4 months, but then became excempted because I work at a full service fire department.....my hubs only works part time and make minimum wage, so not cut to him

shebam75
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Actaully I got a raise last year when I asked for one...BUT...this pay period I feel like it's been taken away because my HEALTH INSURANCE just went up 40% !!!!!!!   Thanks Obama! (sarcasm! if you couldn't tell)

If anyone looks for us, we will be in the cardboard box under the freeway soon enough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)