Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is an unexpected natural cleaner that really works?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you use vinegar or another product?  What cost friendly products really work to clean everyday items?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ruby70
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I use vinegar all the time.   Its great.  I use it to clean counter tops, floors, laundry.  and Its soo cheap too.   Its a natural repelant for ants.  keeps them away too..

onlymikesstacia
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I use vinegar and baking soda a lot. Baking soda can be used in place of cleansers, it is great for scrubbing things because of the grittiness.

kaizynn
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM

vinegar and water all the time...  Cascade is a good tub cleaner...  Tape off any drainage holes. Fill up the bathtub with hot water sprinkle about a cup of Cascade mix it.. fill it up as much as possible and let sit over night..  In the morning take a wash cloth and wipe the grime and scum away... 

MamaBall
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:53 AM

If you are looking for a product to purchase, I found that Earth Friendly Product's Window Kleener is a great pre-mixed vinegar all purpose cleaner. It doesn't leave that chemical smell like Windex does and is safe to use on anything.

It's found mostly at health stores (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc...)

mommy2roxy
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:56 AM

White vinegar and baking soda (used as a mild abrasive) do wonders on most things.

singlemomof2nok
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I have heard that vinegar works really well

MsKari77
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Really??  I didn't know this!!

My husband hates when I clean with vinegar, his mom used to and he can't stand the smell. But yet he is also paranoid about using chemicals to clean with. I think I am going to have to tell him to suck it up and let me use vinegar, especially if it keeps ants away. Our wood floors are 100+ yrs old and they have spaces between the slats where the kids food and spills get trapped. Even though I clean them often, we still get some ants.

I was watching Oprah one day, and Kirstie Ally was on, and she used to be a house cleaner before acting. She said she used vodka to clean with..floors, counters, sinks, toilets. She said it works great.  

Quoting ruby70:

I use vinegar all the time.   Its great.  I use it to clean counter tops, floors, laundry.  and Its soo cheap too.   Its a natural repelant for ants.  keeps them away too..

mamamona
by Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I love 1 part lemon juice to 1 part veg oil for cleaning and polishing wood. Works great! Just spread it out on your wooden furniture and clean it off with a dry rag. Cleans and shines!

krystlewv
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I use baking soda a lot and vinegar. I also use egg shells for a natural abrasive.

SuperMommy408
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I use vinegar and i want to try some eo in my vinegar!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)