Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

May is Foster Care Awareness Month!!!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm sure not many people knew this.  I know I didn't until I started working as a college advisor for students that had foster care experience.

With so many budget cuts, many programs are diminishing that would help foster youth and foster youth aging out of the foster care system.  When foster youth are turning 18, they are on the streets!  Many students don't graduate from high school because they are moving from foster home to foster home to foster home and can't catch up.  There are soooooo many ways you can help and it doesn't mean you have to donate money (though it would help). 

In my signature (in blue) is a website that you can go to to find out how you can support and help foster youth.  The statistics are not good.  In any one day, almost 500,000 children are put in foster care because of drugs, abuse, or parents inability to care for their child.  Check it out and find out how YOU can help.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!  I don't have all the answers but I can probably direct you to where you can look if I don't know. 

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."

May is Foster Care Awareness Month....how can YOU help?  www.fostercaremonth.org

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM

BUMP!

krystlewv
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Thank you!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Thanks for this info.

My hubby and I were going through the process of becoming foster parents when my olsest son came along, then my youngest and now we currently don't have the room in our house to foster anyone. I think we may re apply when our kids are older.

M4LG5
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM

BUMP!

niehoff9
by on May. 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM

We are foster parents and have adopted 3 kids through the system, in the four years we have been doing this we have had 22 kids through our home, 5 that have moved to an aunt's home, 5 went to grandparents, 2 that were adopted by another family, and the rest have successfully returned home.  I know that in our state when a foster child turns 18 they have the option of signing into after care which will provide financial support until they are 21 so that they can finish high school and learn to live on their own.  I think more people need to be aware of ways to help even if they are not able to do foster care for whatever reason.

billssweety
by on May. 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM

We adopted our boys through foster care and are now getting relicensed so we can foster children under 2!!!

billiejo79
by on May. 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM

This is so sad and true. My mom and stepdad where foster parents for 20 yrs. They adopted 15 kids. An fostered over 150 other kids.

singlemomof2nok
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Thank you for the info! 

M4LG5
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Quoting niehoff9:

We are foster parents and have adopted 3 kids through the system, in the four years we have been doing this we have had 22 kids through our home, 5 that have moved to an aunt's home, 5 went to grandparents, 2 that were adopted by another family, and the rest have successfully returned home.  I know that in our state when a foster child turns 18 they have the option of signing into after care which will provide financial support until they are 21 so that they can finish high school and learn to live on their own.  I think more people need to be aware of ways to help even if they are not able to do foster care for whatever reason.

Yes.  There are so many ways people can help without having to be foster parents!

Right now my students are doing a diaper drive for the local crisis nursery and a summer fun drive where they are collecting towels, arts and crafts, and other items for summer activities for the local boys group home!

May is Foster Care Awareness Month....how can YOU help?  www.fostercaremonth.org

M4LG5
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Quoting billiejo79:

This is so sad and true. My mom and stepdad where foster parents for 20 yrs. They adopted 15 kids. An fostered over 150 other kids.

WOW!!!!  Good for them!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)