Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It was in there for two weeks...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM
  • 7 Replies

OK so my friend took hope overnight on the 18th of april, the next day she came back and they told me that something had broken, and hope had stepped into the glass...but they had looked and they didnt see any glass ....i even looked and saw nothing.

Then yesterday we are all walking around and heading to the same friends hse for a party for her child,  dd stopped and took off her shoes because her heel was bugging her , while i am looking at the heel i look at the top of her foot, and there right where the mark was two weeks ago....was a peice of glass, that looked like it was growing OUT of the foot....the skin was even halfway healed over it.

We figure that she originally DID get the glass in her foot, but that it went in too deep and we just couldnt see it, but as her foot healed...it pushed the glass to the surface!

Me and SO decided that we would wait until she was sleeping last night to do anything about it , because she wasnt letting us touch it at all...

So i was talking to a guest at the party about it ,and she was looking at me with disqust and saying (very snobbish) "you should take that glass out now, she will get an infection...why in the world would you leave it in until tonight , its probably hurting her " to which my reply was "its been in there for two weeks and she hasnt even noticed it, a couple of more hours aren't going to kill her "

I almost started getting lippy with this mother, she has a almost 2 yr old, but yet she is giving ME attitude about MY daughter? Finally my friend came over and got into the conversation, and SHE said that glass wont stay in the human body and it will eventually push itself out and not to touch it at all, this made the other woman shut her mouth pretty quick.

So we waited, and last night when dd was asleep , i looked at the foot and the glass was RIGHT THERE, so i just took tweezers and pulled it OFF the foot, the skin underneath was completely healed, you cant even tell the glass was there.

Why do other mothers feel the need to be b^tchy about something that 1) isnt about their child? 2) they know NOTHING about ?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Polkadotted
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Because they obviously haven't had to wrestle down a child to give a treatment. We had to take out 3 yo SD's stitches out on vacation.  Three of us tried holding her down wrapped up in blankets like a burrito.  It didn't work we waited until she was asleep and it was done in 3 minutes. (we go through this with cutting toenails too)

Really if the glass has been there for two weeks what's a few hours more.  The fight can do much more damage.

I think some people just need to be know it alls and put other down to make themselves feel better.

FrogSalad
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

So i was talking to a guest at the party about it ,and she was looking at me with disqust and saying (very snobbish) "you should take that glass out now, she will get an infection...why in the world would you leave it in until tonight , its probably hurting her " to which my reply was "its been in there for two weeks and she hasnt even noticed it, a couple of more hours aren't going to kill her "

This is what I would have thought/said as well.

Have you ever had a wood splinter that won't come out?  In a few days it will pus over and pop right out.  Sort of gross, but along the same lines as the glass.

Wendums71
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Your friend was right, glass does not stay in the body.  DH and I were in a bad car accident and his elbow went through the window.  The doctor got a lot of glass out of his arm but for the next year after he was always picking glass out.

I'm glad it came out with no problem for you.  DD got a splinter last year from our deck.  DH and I had to hold her down while the doctor took it out.  She would not let us near it.

CafeMom Tickers

momof754
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM

you just gotta face the fact that some women seem to think they are the perfect mother, when in fact they are not. im glad it came out really easy for you. something else i would haave said as well was, if it was hurting her so bad, would she be out there playing?? no, she would be here telling me it hurt too bad to play

krystlewv
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I cant stand it when people wont mind their own business. Grrr...You done the right thing and done right by sticking to what you felt was right! Great job!

gigglebox115
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I have to say that other people can give advice pretty quick in situations that they have never experienced. Your friend that told you about how the glass would come out on its own is probably experienced. I have a motto for people like the other mother's: Experience gives you knowledge to share, the rest is hearsay. Maybe this will help you next time a mother wants to tell you about your own child. I commend you for not going off on her in the first place.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Quoting Lanie_momofone:

I would have said and done the same thing. If the glass has been in there for 2 weeks without getting infected, it is very unlikely that it will become infected with in 2 more hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)