Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for my mom and MIL for Mother's Day

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

I kind of got an earful from my MIL for not doing anything for Mother's Day last year (or my husband not doing anything which basically means the blame is on me).  I am broke!  I need an idea or two for my own mom and MIL.  My mom was diagnosed with cancer back in Oct so I feel I need to do something pretty special for her. But how when I have ZERO money? 

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hsalmons
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM

We are in the same boat as far as broke but what I am doing is buying my  mom a plant from Lowes, they have gerber daisies there for about $4. And putting it in a really pretty pot! And I thought about going to Target and getting some paint to paint my daughters hand and making a homemade card for her! Nothing for the MIL.....I hate mine!! LOL So unless my husband does something for her, I wont be buying anything for her! Good luck!

pearlmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I am broke as f**k too :( But I have $ 20.00 for that day. So I am going to go to Target and get a frame that my daughter would decorate for her grandma :) with a cute picture of my daughter and a nice card. Or I am going to get her the Green Tea perfume from Elizabeth Arden that she likes and a card. I have a friend who works in a perfume warehouse so it would be way cheaper than any other place ;)

jeweldog
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Very much in the same boat but I found some pretty but unused journal books and decided to make cookbooks for them both.  I'm going to personalize it with pictures of our family and recipes for their health concerns (diabetic, heart friendly, low-calorie) as well as some favorites and adjusted for 2 or 3 people.  I already have all I need to make them and so it won't cost me a thing.

redheadmom101
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM

This year, we are going fishing as a family...packing our own food and drink and just spending time together. No stress, no worries...no gifts!

Tracyfly
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM

My daughters and me are going to paint a poster board type thing together, put pictures of us all over it, and then put it in a frame.  My mom doesn't really have anything like that and I thought it would be neat to work on it together. 

coral407
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Probably one of the cheapest and "best" gifts that I have given to them is a one year wall calendar with different picutres for each month.  I believe it cost me about $10.00 in Costco.  For my mother, there are 3 of us with (at that time) one kid each.  I went into all of my photo albums and scanned in photos of us when we were little next to our child's picture.  For instance, one month I found my sister's 8 year old baseball picture and put next to it her son's baseball picture.  Another month, I found my wedding picture with my mom and I had a picture of her in her wedding dress with her mother.  Anyway, they still talk about it to this day and are waiting for me to do it again.  The only problem I have is finding the time to do it!

midgit73
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I'm in the same boat also. I am having a BB-Q for mothers day for my mom and MIL. kids are going to make a cake. My brother and BIL & SIL are going to bring some food. I bought 2 trays of basil seedlings, they cost $5.00 for both and I'm going to get 2 pots at the dollar store.  The kids will paint them.  So the whole day will only cost me about $30.00. and it's special because everything is homemade.

~Keri~

Mz.King823
by on May. 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM

MIL's and moms loves to feel appreciated and pretty. So I would suggest a trip to the hair salon. If cost is an issue then go to the beauty school's they are a bit cheaper than regular salons because its students thats actually doing the styling. And even if thats a problem put aside a time in your own kitchen to due her hair yourself and maybe paint her nails and maybe a living room facial. Try out some new makeup. Just get some little products from Walgreens or CVS or even a local beauty supply store. Just that little amount of time with them will mean the world to them and allow them to be pretty at the same time. Trust me it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)