Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you politely tell somebody... and would this be appropriate?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dd is 10 (4th grade), and LITERALLY head and shoulders shorter than everybody else in her grade (I was that way too).  For some reason ALL her friends parents seem to think they can unload all the clothes their dds have outgrown onto us.  Unfortunately... those clothes are WAY too big and it will be a LONG time until she grows into them (she's in size 8 and most of the clothes we get are anywhere from 12-16 and even some 0)  When Tatum came home from her friend's house on Friday, she had 2 big black trash bags FULL of clothes (many with tags still on!).  What we've been doing is picking out the absolute cutest of the cute to save (basic pieces that we don't have to worry about them going out of style) and then donating the rest.  Unfortunately, we're out of room for saving clothes.

How do I politely tell the moms to please stop without sounding ungrateful?  Also... instead of taking the rest of the clothes to Goodwill; would it be a bad thing to try to sell some of it on Craigslist?  Money is extremely tight right now and every little bit helps.

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bugnroosmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM

We have the same issue with getting garbage bags full of clothes for both my DD.

Usually IMC, people tell me to do what I want with them if DD's can't wear them, so Yes. I think it would be fine to sell them. As for telling them you don't need anymore. I would just explain that she has more than enough and honestly you don't have room for her to have anymore clothes right now.

emarin77
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM

With the clothes you have already received, they are yours, so do whatever you want with them.  The clothes that you have not received, I would write letters to the parent's and state that you give thanks for their gesture, but to not send any more clothes to you for your daughter anymore.  No need for explanation.

mommafrog3
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM

i think if they are being given to your daughter then they are yours to do with what you pllease.  i would just tell the parents your closets and dresser are full thanks to their thoughtfullmess in the past and you just cant accept them any longer. or you can just keep taking them and put them in storage somewhere or give them away. is there anyone else in your family that could use them? or friends?

Lanie_momofone
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM

To Whom It May Concern,

I wanted to thank you so much for the clothes that have been given to (dd's name), we have gotten so much however, that we no longer have any space for them.  It would be a great thing for us if in the future anymore clothes could be donated to another girl who needs them as well!, again thank you for the clothes , it was very appreciated and they will go to good use!

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Your name

purestambition
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM

sell them!

praisinghim2day
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM

thank you, ladies :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)