Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DOCTORS aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

So the last neuro appt he had run some blood tests that showed that I had 3 out of 4 markers for thrombophilia ("thick blood"}.  I go to the heme/oncologist and he reruns the test, which comes back fine!!

SO---neuro appt on the 13th.

He asked how the consult with the neurosurgeon went about the Chiari.  I told him the doc decided not to do the surgery.  He did not look happy, and scribbled furiously on chart. He asked about the heme/onc.  I told him the tests came back fine.  Furrowed brow and more scribbling.

Asked about symptoms--legs have been locking up and very painful everyday.  He scheduled another MRI of brain and also one of c-spine.  Also scheduled an EMG---which I am NOT thrilled about.  Did the "poke with needle--can u feel this?", tested my leg strength. Said he would give me something for my legs.  (I am already on meds for RLS.)

The nurse came in with the script and to schedule the  tests.  When she looked at the script she asked me how long I had had MS.  I didnt know what to say.  The paper that came with the med from the pharmacy and looking it up online, it says it is a med to relieve muscle spasms caused by MS or spinal cord injuries.

SO--he didnt tell me I had MS.  Im guessing that will come after the other tests.

angel minitat2dprincessdevil mini

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemomof2nok
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM

(((Hugs))) maybe he wanted to be for sure before he said anything. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Your doctor didn't tell you that you have MS.

Was he prescribing the muscle relaxers because of the Chiari's and the nurse assumed you have MS? Many meds can be used to help with different diagnosis. Like Zoloft is an anti depressant but can also be used effectively for those with OCD or women who have PPMD, kwim?

adah2010
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Before a definite diagnosis is made(preferably after your lab test results are back),the doctor has diferential diagnoses.This guides his choice of tests to send you for and drugs to help your symptoms till the tests are back.He'll need to know for sure before laying anything serious on a patient! I hope you feel better soon!

ValerieRNmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Many drugs have off label uses (meaning they are not FDA approved for that use but research has shown good results for use in alternative conditions). This is very common in neuro and oncology. Maybe he suspects MS but isn't sure or maybe ur symptoms are similar to those he has seem in MS and figures a med for MS may work. IMO Drs shld share their thoughts with patients to prevent situations like this. As a RN I can't stand most doctors *lol*! I have found very few that really exemplify the profession. I hope u get the relief and the answers u are looking for.

tat2dprincess
by on May. 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM

Everyone has made some very good points.  I do not feel he prescribed the med for an off-label use, because the main thing we were discussing at that point was how my legs locked up and wer painful. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Quoting tat2dprincess:

Everyone has made some very good points.  I do not feel he prescribed the med for an off-label use, because the main thing we were discussing at that point was how my legs locked up and wer painful. 

I wondered about that being Chiari related b/c I worked with a student who has Chiaris and his legs used to "lock up" on him, sometimes to the point where he would fall down. He was never injured when he fell but it was very scary the first few times it happened,  his mom was really relaxed about it and told us that it happened to him all the time. 

SpiritWish
by on May. 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Whenever a doc scribbles and writes and diagnoses, a lot of times, he leaves it up to the nurses to go in and break the news to the patient. However, by him not telling you straight up (and the nurse being so nonchalant about it) is a violation of your right to respectful treatment and it violates your right to participate in your health/treatment plan. I'd be looking for another doctor.

AMom29
by on May. 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM

How awful.

When I started reading your post, I thought of MS.  Hopefully the nurse just spoke out of turn.

tat2dprincess
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I wondered about that being Chiari related b/c I worked with a student who has Chiaris and his legs used to "lock up" on him, sometimes to the point where he would fall down. He was never injured when he fell but it was very scary the first few times it happened,  his mom was really relaxed about it and told us that it happened to him all the time. 

I did not know Chiari could cause this.  The neurologist wasnt happy abt the neurosurgeon not opting for surgery.  Thats why he is doing a closr MRI on it, I believe.

steelcrazy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Not to scare you any more that you already are (I know I should stop typing then - lol)  but my cousin was diagnosed with MS a few years ago and her symptoms started out with leg pain, stiffness, and they would sometimes lock.  She underwent tons of tests, I don't remember which ones - sorry, and after many many months of tests they finally diagnosed her with MS.

I hope that you soon know for sure what is the problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)