Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only Child Syndrome................

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM
  • 28 Replies

If a child is a only child because the parents are unable to concieve again, after talking w/Dr. and such.  Would you say that thier only child had only child syndrome?  Our dd is 5 yrs old and yes she is spoiled rotten but she is a good kid.  I want her to be a big sister but it isn't happening for us & so we are just devoted to her.  What do you think?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenC1978
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Me and my husband only have one son (by our choice) and I know what you mean.  It's hard not to spoil them but as long as they behave and are taught values, then it's fine.  I'm sorry to hear that you can't conceive again but be thankful that you have a healthy daughter. 

Dimples04
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

The Dr's say I should be able to but, it took 5 yrs for us to have dd & since her birth had one ovary/fallopian tube removed & things so it just doesn't seem like it will happen & it had been another 5 yrs without a "new" baby so I'm thinking it won't happen. 

Quoting jenC1978:

Me and my husband only have one son (by our choice) and I know what you mean.  It's hard not to spoil them but as long as they behave and are taught values, then it's fine.  I'm sorry to hear that you can't conceive again but be thankful that you have a healthy daughter. 

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I think Only Child Syndrome is a result of the parents raising the child that way.

We're in the same boat as you.  We'd love to give DD (3.5) a sibling, but it's not possible.  Do we spoil her & give her a lot of things?  Yes, we can't help it.  At the same time we teach her morals, values, etc.  DD is a very caring, sympathetic/empathetic, loving child ... and shares better than most kids w/siblings.  She's one of the most well-behaved 3 yr olds I know - even her daycare says so.

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

singlemomof2nok
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Quoting mom2cindylouwho:

I think Only Child Syndrome is a result of the parents raising the child that way.

We're in the same boat as you.  We'd love to give DD (3.5) a sibling, but it's not possible.  Do we spoil her & give her a lot of things?  Yes, we can't help it.  At the same time we teach her morals, values, etc.  DD is a very caring, sympathetic/empathetic, loving child ... and shares better than most kids w/siblings.  She's one of the most well-behaved 3 yr olds I know - even her daycare says so.

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

I agree with you

Barabell
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I have an only child.  He's 10 years old.  Not only is he an only child, but he is an only grandchild too.  I always say that he's spoiled, but he's not a spoiled brat. 

I agree that it's all in how you raise your child.  I've seen children with siblings that are ungrateful, rude and/or a spoiled brat. 

Good luck in trying, but your child can and will grow into a great person even if she remains an only child her whole life.

littleluvbug14
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I agree ~ it's how the child is raised by the parents.  My husband has severe only child syndrome.  But, he was raised that way.  He said, "Jump", and his parents said, "How high?"  He was a spoiled little boy.  He got everything he ever wanted.  Today, he has issues with sharing, and thinking about others and not just himself.  He is progressing though!  If you're worried about this, I would strongly suggest play dates, and lots of social interraction to learn those skills of sharing and thinking about others.  I have to sometimes tell my husband, "The world doesn't revolve around you!"  I haven't had to say that in a really long time!

joshbellamom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

she'll be ok, just get her a puppy. That's what my cousin did and my cousin's kid is perfectly content with her puppy. She bought her a typical lap dog so that dog is her best friend. She can have tea parties, play house, whatever she wants and that dog will stay by her side. So in a way she has someone to play with and entertain her when she is at home. Otherwise get her involved with social activities atleast a few times a week so she is around ohter kids, this way she won't get too bored with being by herself.

zmama22
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

i was an only child until i was 10, and i turned out allright. my daughter is an only child and the center of attention, but she's well behaved, appreciates what she gets, and is very caring (she tries to be the big sis to smaller children). the differences i've seen between her and multiples are mostly in my DD's favor - she negotiates more and tends not to hit as much. the downside is she does tattle a lot, and sometimes i'm her only source of entertainment. i've facilitated friendships between her and my friend's and neighbor's children so she gets to play with others on regular basis. sorry to hear that you won't be able to physically have another, but you never know what life will bring. all the best to you and your family.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I agree with those who have said it is all in the way the child is raised.

My dd was an only until she was 8, she has a great bond with her dad and I. I swear that is why we are able to have such a good relationship with her now that she is a teenager. She is very open with both of us about everything.

Dimples04
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I hope our dd will stay that way with us as a teen.  Any tips?

Quoting mumsy2three:

I agree with those who have said it is all in the way the child is raised.

My dd was an only until she was 8, she has a great bond with her dad and I. I swear that is why we are able to have such a good relationship with her now that she is a teenager. She is very open with both of us about everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)