Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone tried...

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

...Vonage?

I keep wanting to try it because I have a home phone but I don't have long distance on the phone at home.  I can't quite get myself to get rid of it entirely, even though it's a waste IMO.

Anyway...

I keep seeing the commercials for them and wondered if they really are worth it.  Thanks.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ECMOM970
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM

My sister had it for a while and all I remember her talking about is that 911 is different and sometimes she didn't get a local 911... I am not 100% sure as I have never had anything but Qwest!

djspacegirl
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

we got rid of our landline ages ago.  we both have cell phones already and our internet is through the cable company. 

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

My sister had it for a while and all I remember her talking about is that 911 is different and sometimes she didn't get a local 911... I am not 100% sure as I have never had anything but Qwest!

That's what I've heard as well.  Though, the family I know with Vonage loves it because of the long distance savings & not having to use their cell minutes.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM

My brother uses Vonage. He likes it and hasn't had any problems with it. When I talk to him it sometimes sounds tinny or echo~y, if either of those are words.LOL

virgochild79
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM

My father had it and everytime I would call, there was ALWAYS something wrong with his phone line,,they finally got rid of it.

A friend of mine also had it and didn't like it either

billssweety
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I would strongly encourage you to ask about the 9-1-1 part of it....we will not give up our house phone because of this, I work for emergency response, cell phones are not a safe answer for emergencies in the home if you have children.

cw78j
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM

no, but i hear good things. I have ny phone and internet through the cable company

sokkamum
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Nope. My phone and internet are through the cable company.

momof754
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM

we looked into it, but it didnt seem like it was a better deal than what we already have.

snowbear74
by on May. 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM

they have something called packet 8 too that is like vonage and supposedly cheaper but I have no idea as we cant get service like that here in BFE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)