Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know any legal advice....any opinions appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM
  • 3 Replies

I am from Ohio first of all. My husband and I have a little dirtbike we are selling. Some guy came and looked at the bike (he is from West Virginia) and asked if we would take a $200.00 deposit on the bike, hold the bike for him and he would pick up/pay the balance on June 3,2010. We agreed to help the person out, even came down $50 on the price. Now the man is saying he doesn't want the bike and asking for his money back. Problem is we used the money...didn't think it was a prob cause he said he wanted the bike. So anyone know what we are legally suppose to do? I mean I don't wanna be mean and keep the guys money, but first off we aren't his personal savings account. I offered for him to either go ahead and purchase the bike and resale it or wait til it sales for us to return his money. IDK..he's kinda freaking me out. I don't him, he knows where I live cause he came here to look at the bike and I'm just getting a little nervous about the whole thing. I told him I didn't think we were leagally obligated to give him any money back and he said "I know"...Please don't bash me...just asking for advice here. If you have any good advice please feel free to tell me. Thanks!!!

Oh and my husband missed work hours to meet with this man on the purchase of this bike. Just thought that the hours he missed should mean something too.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
singlemomof2nok
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Did you put anything in writing?  Like, the deposit being returned or not returned if buyer decides not to purchase?  I think if you didn't have an agreement on whether the deposit would be non-refundable, then he might be entitled to his money back.  You might want to ask a lawyer about it.

dtkmballen
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM

We put in writing that he paid the deposit or $200 and the ramaining $450 was due by June 3,2010.

NearSeattleMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Quoting dtkmballen:

We put in writing that he paid the deposit or $200 and the ramaining $450 was due by June 3,2010.

But you didn't say the deposit was non-refundable?  You probably need to check with a lawyer . . .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)