Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having one of those days

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM
  • 4 Replies

Does it ever feel like you're struggling to transition your child from one developmental stage to another and every where you turn everybody else seems to do it so easily?  Like, I look for advice on how to get rid of the pacifier, and all I hear is "Oh, one night, we just said no and he had no problem".  Or potty training: cold turkey and in a day or two she was using the potty without ever needing a diaper again.  Or moving out of the crib: we put him in a toddler bed and he has stayed there ever since.

None of those things will be easy for my DD.  And I can't help but wonder: what does my kid do easily that frustrates other parents?  I can't help it.  But right now, I feel like I suck because I can't find the method/energy to take away the pacifier, potty train, or move to a toddler bed.  And, selfishly, right now, I need to know if there is anything that other parents look at my DD and say "Why does that come so easily to her and not to me/us?"

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Oh i hear yea. I have been lucky in some ways with my DD but others have been hell. She is strong willed and unless she wants to do something it will be a fight. Some kids take change much better then others you just have figure out what works for you and your child. Maybe talk about for a week befor a big change. SLowly but surely with the potty traininga nd paci problems(a little at a time worked best for us)

((HUGS))

jenephertx
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Yes yes yes! I'm with ya. My daughter is SOOO strong willed! Everything is a struggle!

Ok confession time. She is 3 1/2 and still sleeps in her crib. Why? Because she will not stay in her toddler bed!!!! Yes I have tried the sleep training, etc, it doesn't work she is so stubborn. She has always been a terrible, terrible sleeper. As an infant, she woke up multiple times a night, and not just for a feeding. She was just a restless baby. So ~ for now, she is falling asleep quicker and sleeps better in her crib. I don't care what others have to say about it. Right now its working for us.

Oh ~ and sometimes she still uses her paci at bedtime too. I do hate that, and I've tried and tried to take it from her. We've had the big girl fairy come take them away...we've given them up during the day because we're 'such a big girl'...etc. Currently she is using one that has the tip snipped off! (all paci's break when you become a big girl!) Didn't work. She doesn't care, she just wants it! And when you have a hyper, restless kid who has never been good at self comforting, you do what you gotta do to get some peace and quiet. She only uses it to go to sleep, so I'm like You know what, So Be It! She is sleeping!

Keep in mind my first child slept well, walked at 8 1/2 months, gave up the bottle at 1, paci at 18 months, potty trained by 2......so I'm really at a loss with her sometimes!

Try not to stress over it. When it is your child's time for certain things, you'll know it. When it's not, don't let what other kids are accomplishing make you feel like you aren't doing it right. No one knows what's right for you guys better than you. As long as you know you're doing what you can, when you can, let the rest go. My dh tells me all the time, I think you're doing her a disservice by allowing the paci, its gonna ruin her teeth, she's too old, blah blah blah. Ok then I'll leave and you put her to bed every night and deal with that struggle.

Its mine to deal with and I'm dealing with it the best I can for me and for her right now. That's what matters.

JenRene
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM

For us.... we chose to let the kids do it on their own time. Not all parents feel this is right. But it worked and there were no fights. :)

singlemomof2nok
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I wouldn't compare myself to others.  Every child is different and when she is ready she will do all that you need and want her to do.  It will be okay :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)