Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old were your babues when they started talking?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a 15 month old son that only says mom or mama. He can comprehend what we're saying to him, because if someone in the house asks him a question, he will respond with a headshake of yes or no. I try to get him to say words, but he won't, he just points. I'm really worried about him. How old were your babies when they began to talk?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

My daughter's first word came around 7 ot 8 months. However, she was an early talker, and is still really verbal. I'm pretty sure that at 15 months they only expect a child to say a couple of words.  If you're worried, I'd set up an appointment with his doctor.  They can arrange for an evaluation if they feel he's behind, so he can get a bit of extra help.

SoniaL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

All babies are different. My nephews took a LONG time to say anything. My kids all said mama at around 6 months. 

Undomesticated
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

My son just started using his words more about 2 months ago.  He'll be 2 next month.  We even went to a speech pathologist to have him evaluated.  He understood what we were saying and he could respond to us, he just was refusing to talk.  But, we taught him sign language and used it since the day he was born.  The evaluation he had determined that since he learned sign langauge (even though we do, and always have, said the word as we signed it), that it was easier for him to use that as his form of communication, and he understood what people where saying when talking to him.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Boys tend to talk later than girls.  If you're really worried about it though, definitely take him to his pediatrician and have an evaluation set up with a speech pathologist.  They can be very helpful and reassuring.

Sheacat
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

My daughter started around 9-10 months saying a few things....  kitty, dada, mama and cheese.  But at almost 2 thats about all she says..  she has no trouble understanding us though and can follow instructions (when she wants to).  Our doc told me not to worry, she understands us and will probably just spontaneously start talking when she is good and ready.  At which point we will probably miss the "quiet" days...lol.

Zakysmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I think my son came out of the womb talking.  He was speaking in full and complete sentences by 18 months, he was very advanced speech wise.  My daughter was about average with speech, between 18 mos and 2 years to really start putting words together

owensmom34
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I can't remember this but I think around 7 or 8 months they started saying little things. 

Javagirl1118
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I have been through this many times... Their comprehension, if they understand what is being said to them, is so very much more important than their actual speech. I have four kids, two are special needs and two are typical. The two SN kids, neither of them spoke actual words until the age of 3. My now six YO didn't even point, which is characteristic of his Autism.

I would keep doing what you are doing, read to him, talk to him all the time, show him things, he IS learning and one day will just open his mouth and come out with stuff you didn't even know he knew. And don't be alarmed if he starts talking and then stops - he's simply watching, listening and learning new stuff!

I am a cancer survivor, an Autism mommy, a single mom, a writer, and a proud mother of a pageant princess!

I am ~LYSSA~!

baby4-ontheway
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Ok, my first dd was talking full conversations by 12 months. My second dd started talking real simple words around 15 months. My 3rd ds was stuck only saying 2 words at 24 months. I had him evaluated and since he had more than 30% delay in speech for his age, he qualified for speech therapy. He only used that therapy once a week for 4 months, and then he was at a more "normal" level of speech. He's in Kindergarten now, and hasn't had to re-visit any speech delay issues. My 4th ds is only 5 months old, so we will see how it goes.

I have a friend who has 4 boys, the oldest is 6 yrs now,  & has "speech aproxia" (sp?) and has been in speech therapy since he was 18 months old.  At that time, he didn't have any words, but could understand things being said to him at a 3 yr old level. He is very smart, but the connection between his mind and his mouth being able to form words is different than you & me. He can speak now, and is understandable but it took a lot of therapy to get him to this point. My friend is thankful that she was able to get him evaluated and start therapy when she did, because the longer you wait to start helping the child, the harder it is to get results.

Since your little one is not really speaking at 15 months, you might want to consider having him evaluated to see if here is a signifigant delay. Ask your pediatrician for a referral to the correct agency who can help you. Evaluations are free (where I am) and therapy costs fluctuate according to the individuals household income. If you can't pay, they generally won't deny the child his therapy, the state will pick up the costs.

Good Luck to you & your boy. Hope it all works out easilly for you. :)

singlemomof2nok
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Quoting owensmom34:

I can't remember this but I think around 7 or 8 months they started saying little things. 

I am thinking that is how old mine were too

RosellaBella
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Hey there, first off dont worry about a thing, Pointing to what they want is huge! its a way of communication! I would not worry every child is different. My son started talking early about 7 mths, but only said dada, now he is 13 mths and has a good vocabulary, but again every child is different! I had some friends that there kids didnt talk till they were 2 years old, and they are more than fine and very smart kids. I truly wouldnt worry. you really cant compare kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)