Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And then I had FIVE

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM
  • 3 Replies

what are the rules with asking other parents to reciprocate or is it just my foolishness for being a "sucker":?  I have had two of the neighbor kids now for three days...plus several days over the past few weeks... they basically live here and have taken to calling me "mom".  I'm exhausted and I don't have the income available to continue to feed and do laundry for five kids.  Is there an appropriate way to ask another parent to maybe pitch in with food or to take one or two or (dreamily three) of my kids for a night or two?  I'm just burning out.  My own kids are 10, 9 and 6.  We also now have another boy (11) and girl (9), plus I'm still trying to grieve the death of my baby boy, Caleb, so I'm feeling highly unstable... probably why it is so easy to take advantage of me right now.  I really do love the other two kids.  They are sweet and listen well (better than my own), but I'm cooked.  Does anyone have any ideas as to how to amicably handle this situation without burning any bridges?  Thank you.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
djspacegirl
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM

i don't know.  i'm guessing maybe you should not have agreed to take care of them... (not judging at all, just saying maybe you were under too much stress).  how much longer did you agree to take care of them?  imo, you can't really back out once you've agreed to take them...  i would be pissed if i left my kids with someone for an agreed amount of time and then they ended up sending them someplace else without me knowing...  are their parents close friends?  can you call them and see if they have a back-up sitter?

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Why do you have them?  I would simply call the parents and say "I love having your kids here, but we are going through some family issues and need some private time".

dubnchix
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:07 PM

this sounds very appropriate to me...

Quoting SouthernMama08:

Why do you have them?  I would simply call the parents and say "I love having your kids here, but we are going through some family issues and need some private time".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)