• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help w/an 11 yr. old's attitude

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM
  • 26 Replies

Hi ladies. My son is eleven and has an attitude everytime we ask him to do something. The only chores he has are to keep his room clean, keep his bathroom clean and to take out the garbage. He wouldn't do these things on his own so when we asked him to he would make this sighing noise and say "man" but in a whiny voice. Oh and he hunches his shoulders and has this walk like he's about to do something that's gonna kill him!

We've tried the allowance thing but he would still have that attitude and it wouldn't be fun to reward him.

I know he's a good kid. At least that's what I hear from teachers! Is it just because we're his parents? Any other moms go through this?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacyswicks
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM

OH YES!!!! I have 2 daughters 12 1/2 and 11 in July! We go through the same thing day in and day out! The only difference that they have from your son is that they have to pick up dog poo too on top of the others. I am so tired of hearing "O I love your girls they are so good an help and listen blah blah blah". I never see it at home without a monster attitude!! If you find something that works please share with me too!! GOOD LUCK!!

dsebastian23
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I have guardianship of my nephew and boy are they the same!

arkmomma06
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

My daughter is the same way!!! She just turned 11 in May......She does great at school though..

Angie

stacyswicks
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

We all need to get together here and figure something out to stop this!!! I dont ever remember acting like this...I woulda caught the back of a hand if I did! 

SalemWitchChild
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yep. And I quickly taught my daughter that complaining equals more chores. Each sigh or moan or "man" adds another chore till he stops. I can become very creative. Floors get moped, walls get a good wash, Weeds get cut, dishes done, laundry done. Whatever chore you think he can do he does till he stops moaning. My Dd learned real fast to not give me attitude or her chores got worse.

jerseymomto3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM

This is to funny, I thought you where talking about my son... He is the EXACT same way....  And all he has to do is his room, collet all garbage the day before trash day and empty the dishwasher... He act's as if it is the end of the world...

But I have found that when he ask's for money or anything special I do the exact same thing as he does so that he can see how funny he looks.... It is helping a little....

montiel
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Yep. And I quickly taught my daughter that complaining equals more chores. Each sigh or moan or "man" adds another chore till he stops. I can become very creative. Floors get moped, walls get a good wash, Weeds get cut, dishes done, laundry done. Whatever chore you think he can do he does till he stops moaning. My Dd learned real fast to not give me attitude or her chores got worse.

Hmmm....not a bad idea! I think I'll start a honey-do list for him!

montiel
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Quoting stacyswicks:

We all need to get together here and figure something out to stop this!!! I dont ever remember acting like this...I woulda caught the back of a hand if I did! 

Thank you! I was a perfect child! LOL!

Stefono
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me, Just make sure you stick to your guns & it should not get worse.Pre-teens are fun, ha? My 11 yr old dd has her moments too.

M4LG5
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Quoting montiel:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Hmmm....not a bad idea! I think I'll start a honey-do list for him!

I can see it going like this:

Him: I don't want to right now

You: And you can add the windows since you are talking back

Him: BUT I DON'T WANT TO

You: After the windows you can clean the cars...keep it up...I'll add more.

Him: But..but...but

You: But?  You want another?

Him: (gets up, stomps feet, doing chores)

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."

May is Foster Care Awareness Month....how can YOU help?  www.fostercaremonth.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)