Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is too much? Do we have a problem?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

DH and I like to have a few drinks at the end of the day but it's everyday. We talk about not drinking but never stop. Maybe for a few weeks or days but then we start right back up again. We want a baby and I know I will not drink when I am pregnant....he says he won't either and volunteered this, I never asked. But I wonder, if we can't just stop cold turkey do we have a drinking problem? We usually split a 6 pack or a bottle of wine and drink it between dinner & bedtime. We both come from alcoholic families and I wonder if we are too hard on ourselves or what.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nelopyma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I think that if you're asking yourself if it's a problem, it probably IS a problem.  If you feel you HAVE to have a drink every evening, even if it's just one drink, IMO, that's a problem. 

Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Every night? Yes..you both have a problem..if you have decided to stop...some day...but not today..then yes..its a problem....A bottle of wine split between you isn't....really a lot...but its the fact you do it every night ....

funnymom32
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

My sister felt the same way and called an AA hot-line to ask what they thought.  My sister found it very helpful.  Most people that I know drink 1-2 drinks every night so to me, that isn't a big deal BUT if you feel that it might be, I would look into it.  You know yourself better then anyone.  If you feel that you can't stop drinking on your own then it's a problem.  I come from an alcoholic family as well (my dad and his dad) so I am very conscious of what and how much I drink.

BluDog
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I feel like it's a problem only b/c we say we'll stop and don't. He's concerned, too. I wanted a broader perspective. I also feel like I have some extra weight I could lose if I quit and my head is always clearer. We are all or nothing people, so we rock hard between drinking & not drinking.

BigPrimpin
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I think a few drinks every night is a lot.  It's good that you are aware of what you're doing and willing to investigate this...  drinking that often raises health risks (and most definitely can lead to weight gain).  Where you just said that you are all or nothing people is a little bit of a red flag for me,  because it sounds like you may not be able (or don't think you're able) to draw the line at just one drink,  once in a while.  Maybe you and your husband could go for a walk in the evening instead,  and have one or two drinks a couple of nights a week vs. every night and see how that fits?  I like the suggestion above about calling AA to get more ideas and advice.  Good luck to you! :)

mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Sounds like you do...If you have to have a drink even one every night, this yes that is a sign of a Alcohoic. I would look in a AA program and see what they said and what you can do to get you on the right path...Wishing you the very best...
steelcrazy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM

It's not really about how much you drink, it's more about how often and if you can live without it.  Sounds like you HAVE to have a drink every night and that is where the problem lies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)