• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not returning back to work after so many years...you?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM
  • 40 Replies

I was just wondering what people are doing after they had their kids.  I just had my first baby and I am in my mid 30's and for the first time find myself not working since I was a teen!  I have chosen to stay home with my daughter and am very happy with the choice.  Also another reason is that my husband is deploying and we don't have family nearby and well daycare is expensive! Just again wondering what others decided to do?  Love to hear from everyone!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I worked the first couple months after having my DD...But hubby and I talked, I wanted to be home with her...Now with a DD and DS I am a very happy SAHM...Hoping one day to work from home, I want to be home with my kids when they are....I am very happy with the choice we made...

chellealexa
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I just had my first child too and am contemplating not returning to work. I am a teacher so DH and I have a little bit of time to think about it. I've been reading books about making the transistion and honestly the thing I am most worried about is being able to rein in our spending. We can make it on DH's salary but the extras will be gone. I want to make that sacrifice for my son but don't know if I will be able to in actuality. 

NatetheGreat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I was 26 when I had my son, worked full time until two weeks before I had him in 2001. After I had him I did part time for a year then back to full time until 2004. Then my DH landed a really good job and we moved. I haven't worked since and I am loving every minute of it. Of course I haven't HAD to work but would again if it came down to it.    

Sillieguze
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I had my son when I was 29. He's 2 1/2 now. We're lucky that my mom watches Parker for us everyday while I work, so I know he's in good hands. I'm a teacher so I have my summers off and get to be a SAHM for those few months. I think if I were sending my son to a daycare center the choice to work might have been harder for me. I spent 4 years working as a substitute teacher to get my foot in the door to be able to get a full time teaching job, and I didn't want to throw all of that away. We waited until I had a full time job to have a baby so that we knew we would be able to afford it. We are going to start trying for another baby soon and I will continue to work and my mom will continue to watch my son and the new baby.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
momof754
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM

well, lets see, my oldest was born on sept 1 2001 and i went back to work on sept12 2001. my daughter was born feb 18 2003 and i went back to work on march 3 2003 and my youngest was born on april 21 2004 and i went back to work on may 25 2004. i had my tubes tied after having had my youngest and had to stay off the longest with him due to this. i am the main income in our family and had to go back to work for us to survive.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I'm a slacker mom. I take care of our home, and my husband and son. I did the career thing. I've found I'm much happier not climbing the corporate ladder. :)

coffee.crisp
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I am 31 and 7 months pregnant with my 2nd (my first is 2).  My fiance and I discussed it extensively and we decided that HE will stay home with the kids once the new baby is born.  Financially it makes more sense, it'll save us the daycare costs PLUS I do NOT do well when I'm not working :)  I stayed home for a year with my first and just about lost my mind.  Then, about six months ago I was unemployed for about a month and stayed home with my little guy... I loved having the time with him but I get SO bored.  I'm nuts, I know it :)

bsbowlan
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I didn't work for a year after my first son (who is almost 13) then after he was a year old I worked a bunch of crap jobs. Then we PCS'd to Germany for three years and I didn't work the entire time we were there but I did start college. When we came back to the states I took a really emotionally rewarding job taking care of elderly homebound people but the pay in that industry sucks. Then a DoD job fell into my lap and because I had the schooling I was hired....best job ever and the pay was great.

Then I got pregnant. And we PCS'd to a remote location.

Baby is now a toddler at almost 14 months....but I am still in school (working on my Master's now).

So my resume still looks good because even though I had gaps, most of them I can say I was concentrating on my schooling.

I will be going back to my DoD job in 6-12 months though.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I used to be a kindergarten teacher.  I taught for 6 years, the last year being the one where I was pregnant with Kyle.  I had him in April so luckily I got from April through August to be home with him.  I went back to work and I was beside myself.  I was crying every day and just wasn't enjoying teaching anymore, for a lot of different reasons.  So I didn't work from August 2007 to January 2008 and that's when I got hired by Bank of America as a teller.  I LOVE my job now!  I am full time and trying to work my way up.  I am just happy I did what was best for me and my family.

keila_mb
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I've stayed home with my kids for the past 10 years. And a less likely SAHM you're never likely to meet.lol! However, my hubby and I talked about it and for our family (he's on a towboat 6 months a year) it just makes sense.

I thought I would finish school / get a job when my youngest started school but I've found that I'm more busy now than when they were babies and I love it. Crazy world!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)