Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Life of a 30 something S.A.H.M

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone else a SAHM? If so, what did you do before you became one? I have been one now going on 6yrs- ofcourse it has it's ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Stay at Home Moms Connect! http://www.cafemom.com/group/110548

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OhioMom_2010
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I'm a SAHM - since 2004

twin girls

Before I became a Mom, I was a Dog Trainer.

Now I'm a SAHM and a Paranormal Investigator.

poetmom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I've been a SAHM since 1993 and I'm so blessed that we've been able to afford for me to stay home and raise my kids. Our oldest just graduated from high school in May and the other three only have a few more years to go.

Before having kids I worked as an assistant manager in a drycleaners store in Seattle, WA. Being a mom is waaaay better than that :D

Heather_F
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Been a SAHM for about 6yrs also, there are pros and cons to it. The thing I struggled most with was the lack of adult interaction. When I found CM I was excited and finally some kind of outlet for me during the day. Before staying at home, I was many things but the latest was a patient acct rep, dealing with medical bills and claims. Now I am trying to start a photography business, been getting paid lately and getting work by word of mouth which has been great! I like where I am now, still able to stay at home with the kids and getting enough sessions to help us stay afloat and enjoy small things like a mini vacay. Thanks to photography the kids and I are going to Sea World in a couple of weeks YAY :) The newest struggle will be keeping the money coming in enough so that I CAN still stay at home. I have one starting kindergarten this year and the other going to preschool 2x a week so I still wanna be able to be involved in their day to day activities ya know?

texasbaby72. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
rockinmama07
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Before our oldest was born I worked at a Drug store, from there I moved to Sam's Club because it was better pay.  After she was born I tried going back to work, but I was cut down to part time and that didn't even cover daycare, so I became a SAHM.  I was a SAHM for a couple of years then I got a job at a law office.  I stayed there until I was offered a better position and pay at (of all things) a gas station.  My third day there I was offered the assistant manager position.  2 months after I accepted that I was given my own store.  I got burned out quickly so even though the pay was great I just couldn't do the commute (45 minutes each way), plus help out at home and with our dd.  From there I went back to Sam's Club, not long after I found out I was pregnant with dd #2.  I stayed there until I had to take medical maternity leave (my doc pulled me at 7 mos).  I've been a SAHM ever since (3 years now).

brykev
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM

When my oldest was born I worked as an office manager for a service/repair company.  I continued to work part time (2 days a week) until just before his first birthday.  Now I'm a sahm with three boys(6,3,1)  Most days I love it. 

If I had to pick a 'con' it would be the constant budgeting and trying to stretch every dollar.  Living on one income can sometimes be a struggle.  But I think it's so worth being able to stay home with my boys!!

Jena003
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I worked as a paramedic.  I have been a stay at home mom for 6 years.

mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I was a medical clerk for about 7 years before becoming a SAHM...I went back to work for the 1st 6 months of my DD life then hubby and I talk and I have been a SAHM since..I now have a DD who is starting preschool and a DS who is just the best lil man I could ever had asked for...Sometimes it's hard, but I wouldn't have it any other way...SAHM since Oct. 2006 and love'n it....

steelcrazy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Technically I'm a work at home mom, but I have been at home for 10 years now.  I used to work as a purchaser for a large lumber company.  Now I use my accounting degree and work from home for a CPA firm.

owensmom34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I have been a SAHM for almost 13 years.  I was working at a newspaper doing desktop publishing before I became a SAHM.  I agree that SAHM has it's ups and downs.  I miss having that constant adult connections.

kristielee79
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I am a SAHM that occasionally waitresses (when they need me on DH's days off). I worked full time when my oldest was a baby, then cut back to part time when I had my 2nd DD. After having my son in 2006, I decided it wasn't worth the stress of finding and paying a sitter for 3 kids. I waitressed all of that time and loved it. Always busy, always making a lot of money and I had adult interaction!!!!! I don't know how anyone could love being a SAHM because it drives me insane! I would rather work 50 hours a week than be home. Don't get me wrong, I love my kiddos and I will always be the only one to put them to bed and to wake them up in the mornings and take them to school, and I want to always be there when they get home from school to hear about their day....BUT I would also love to find a night shift job so I could do all of those things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)