Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have friends that smoke that you wish didn't?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

How do you in a nice way explain you don't want them to do it around your children?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristielee79
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I wish I could quit (someday I keep saying). You really can't tell them NOT to smoke around you or your kids if you are in their home, but you can enforce it if you are at your own home. Most people I know that smoke don't do it around others that don't smoke to be courteous. I would never go near someone else's child while I was, and I wash my hands after I do.

steelcrazy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

None of my friends smoke around the kids so this isn't an issue. 

metermaid
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Yes!  I have only 1 friend who smokes.  He always stinks when he comes to our house, and I don't really like DS being around him, soaking up all the noxious fumes he's putting out.  He never smokes around DS, but there are serious concerns about "third hand smoke."  Plus, when DH goes out with him DH smokes too!  It only happens every few months, but it's still yucky.

He just got married, and I figure that he'll have kids soon and then his wife will make him quit.  :)

Jaye677
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM
I'm similar, I smoke, wish I didn't (that's another topic, lol) but only outside. When my DD's friends come over, I still smoke outside and keep it away from them, but when I am visiting soneones house that doesn't smoke, I just don't smoke. Example, we were at my DD's friends house for a birthday party and I just didn't do it, it's disrespectful. If a smoker is visiting u then I would just politely ask them to near the street. Most won't get angry or anything. If you just ask nicely I don't see there being a problem. You don't need to go into the explaination of "I don't like it around the kids" just say "would you mind smoking over there?". They'll get the point.

Quoting kristielee79:

I wish I could quit (someday I keep saying). You really can't tell them NOT to smoke around you or your kids if you are in their home, but you can enforce it if you are at your own home. Most people I know that smoke don't do it around others that don't smoke to be courteous. I would never go near someone else's child while I was, and I wash my hands after I do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof754
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:03 AM

well, seeing as how it is my husband and MIL, i tell them straight out how they are killing all of us with their smoke. when i used to smoke, i never did it in the house and once in a blue moon i did it in the car, only if the kids were not in the car and i was able to have all the windows down. but we dont have but maybe one or two friends who smoke and they dont smoke in their house or around their kids so it is not an issue there

jenettyshome
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I wish everyone in the world would stop smoking.  lol!  Most of my friends DON'T smoke.  And the few that do KNOW that I'm not a smoker and that I don't like it around me or my home and they respect me for it. 

AmyG1976
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I wish no one smoked but that is not my choice to make. if they smoke in there homes I have the choice not to go there I cant tell ppl what to do in there own homes. however of all the smokers I know no one smokes in there home (think most know better about how it ruins your house)  excpet at my mil's home.  we like most ppl smokers and non dont allow smoking in our home. we are non smokers but we have a bench at the side yard with a planter on either side and a sand filled pot for there butts so they dont litter my yard. most of the smokers too that I know dont really litter them anymore just dh parents and a FEW siblings.  we also have the choice NOT to invite there littering butts (lol) over

Amy wife 12 years to Bill    kisstwin girlstwin boys

homeschooling extended rfing and harnessing mom of: Jordan 14, Daniel 9, Mary 7,Jeremy 5 our 26 week miracle, sometimes a foster mom as well.                                                                              http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

singlemomof2nok
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

My friends would never smoke around my children, they wouldn't even smoke around their own

CaRmElQuEeN08
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Yes my ex and I are always arguing because I have congestive heart failure and am not allowed to be around cigarettes but He has tried to stop and to no luck.  When my children come home they smell like cigs and I hate it.

shorty13417
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

most of my family and DH's family smokes and all i say when they come to our house is: "please smoke outside, THANK YOU!"   i use to smoke so now it stinks when i smell cigarette smoke on any one.. makes me sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)