Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TEXT Messages are.....

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM
  • 16 Replies

Out of freakin control these days! People have become so accustomed to text messages and come very inpersonal. I woke up this morning to a text message notifiying me that my uncle passed away at about midnight last night.  Now, I wasn't shocked that my uncle passed away because his health has been poor for years and he didn't take care of himself.  I was, however, appauled that I received a text  message passing along this information.  Then come to find out that nobody had the human decency to CALL my grandmother and tell her that her son died. She got the info via someone else's text message! WTF!!!!! What is this world coming to.....SERIOUSLY????? OK vent over! :)

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShelbysHope
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Wow..that is very callous. I am sorry to hear about your Uncle, and I am shocked that that is how his mother was told. Shame on them. I myself do not like to text, I think it's impolite, if you want to talk, then pick up the phone and let's chat...

momof3angela
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Oh my gosh.....that was so inappropriate for your grandmother to find out that way.  Very insensitive.  Don't ppl understand a certain level of courtesy?  I am so sorry...how is she doing?

jellis
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Uh yeah that is just not right. I am so sorry for the loss of yoru uncle. Sorry for the way you foudn out. This just happened in our home when my DH read on Facebook that his friends wife's grandfather died. He called and said I'm so sorry if you need anythign we are here...shes liek what are you talking about? noone even called her! He felt so horrible but he didn't know!
I Hope that our kids have the decency to call family members when him or I pass on!

Remarkable_Mama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Then I log into the computer and there are RIP messages plastered all over FB! My brother doesn't even know yet because I can't get a hold of him and this is our father's older brother! UGH!!!

ECMOM970
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM

That is pretty bad :( Notice of a family members death does not and should not come from a text message - it should come from a phone call or a personal visit especially to your poor grandma!

owensmom34
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I agree!  I really, really am upset when people are on the road texting!! 

I am so sorry for your loss! 

singlemomof2nok
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I am so sorry for your loss

choco_mom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I agree, that is seriously WRONG.  There is a time and place for that for sure.  A friend of ours is kind of getting like that.  I got a text message yesterday inviting us over to their pool.  Well I didn't see it until 7 so it was too late to go.  That totally sucked!  Why couldn't she just call??

So I agree with you for sure. Esp about your grandmother, that is sad.

ilovexzavier
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I agree that is wrong with how your grandmother found out, but not about texting. It is the only way I can talk sometimes. Whether it is b/c my kid is sleeping, or I just do not have time. The important stuff I'll call for. The majority of the time it is through texts.

Remarkable_Mama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Don't get me wrong...I can text my life away with the best of them and I actually prefer it most of the time....the kids NEVER need anything until I am on the phone BUT for a death in the family I would prefer a PHONE CALL!!!! UGH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)