Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graves Disease....

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

Anyone have it? I do and it sucks big donkey butts!!!!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
thebailiffs
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I had Hashimoto's and it over and under active Thyroid.  They gave me radiation about 10 years ago so I do not have a functioning Thyroid.  I take medicine and I feel wonderful! I just have to take  medicine for life, which I would of had to do any way.

I have an amazin Endocrinologist who listens and allows me to tell him what dosage works for my body.

Good luck

StuckinMO
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM

My mother is currently battling yet another sympthom of this nasty disease.  We first started noticing sympthoms about 12-13 years ago. First it was difficult for her to get off the toliet, then she started getting the 'popeye' look.  They killed off her thyroid, got her situated with the correct medication and her eye started to recede back into it's socket up until 2+years ago.  Now that same eye is not only 'popping' out again but she has to wear an eye patch cause that eye now looks down and inward...she has no muscle control what so ever.  She is going in for eye surgery in the next couple weeks~but unfort. it won't be the only surgery she will need for the eye.  Sorry you are going through this and I hope that you NEVER have to deal with what she is.  Good Luck.

LancesMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM

hugs

momof754
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:41 PM

my sister has it and i have the opposite. i have hypothyroidism. she went through the radio-active iodine treatments 8 years ago for it. she hates how the disease makes her feel

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quoting LancesMom:

hugs

Remarkable_Mama
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Yes, I have it and I absolutely HATE it!!! I could tell something wasn't right after my 2nd daughter back in 2003 and went to the doctor often but because none of the symptoms ever presented themselves at the same time it was hard for them to diagnose. Anywho, this went on for YEARS!!!! They finally figured it out when I had what they call a storm (can kill ya dead) and ended up in the ER about to croak over. They couldn't get my heart rate to come down to a normal rate for about 3 hours....they literally sat right next to me with these syringes and put them to the IV like every 10/15 minutes to get it to come down...anyway they got it under control and the following Monday I saw the Endocrinologist and he diagnosed me in less than 5 minutes of being there. He was like HOLY CRAP, especially when he got my blood work back! He said he doesn't know how I'd been functioning this long....LOL I also found out that I was about6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd daughter right before the storm happened so she was thrown into the mix....crazy crazy times!

I did have my thryoid ablated with the radio active iodine and have to take medication for the rest of my life....but I've yet to feel back to 100%....alot of times I can really tell that I don't feel good and I tell the dr but they say well your levels are normal. Well shit Im sorry to tell ya maybe I need to be at the high end of the NORMAL scale because I don't feel good. I have to force myself to work out ...which is something that I really use to enjoy doing but know that NOT doing it is not an option or I will blow up like the Good Year Blimp......JUST UGHHHHHH!!!!!

We just moved so I'm hoping to get a team of good doctors here....I gotta get a new Endocrinologist/Internist and cardiologist.....Wish me luck!!! I really would like to have my life back....I'm tired of feeling so drained all the time, it's just not the real me! :(

lizzig
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:04 PM

two of my sisters have it, but I don't know much about it.  I know my one sister has every possible symptom with it & is constantly sick.  The other had a lump in her throat (forget what it's called) but that's how they found she had it.  They gave her radiation treatment to kill it & for the most part she hasn't had too many issues since.  I'm hypothroid & don't have much fun myself.

KKRice
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM

No one I know has it, but that is aweful.  My DH does see an endocrinologist because last year he was diagnosed with a Prolactin induced Pituitary Tumor.  This caused his thyroid to shut off, his testosterone to stop producing, his cholesterol to go extremely hight, his hearing to go wacky and he has put on over 150 lbs because that is what it tells the body to do.  He is on medication to shrink the tumor, meds for Thyroid, cholesterol, his asthma, vitamins out the wazoo, and he has to have a testosterone injection 2 times a month.  This has been going on way longer than he had symptoms, but he just pushed him self through the symptoms telling himself he would be fine, until I finally pushed him to go to the dr.  The diagnosis process has been over a year and a half to find all of this out, and finally he is on the right track to getting things fixed.

I hope that meds can help you and that you begin to feel better soon.

AMom29
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I don't know what that is exactl, but it sounds terrible.  I'm sorry you are going through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)