Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old to throw a themed party for your kids?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do you just go with the flow and gauge it by your kids' reactions or do you just stop when they're a certain age?  My son just turned 3 and we didn't have a party persay for him this year because we just didn't have the time but we did have family over and we did Lightning McQueen for the cake and whatnot.  Just wondering because I want to take advantage of Kyle wanting a certain theme because before long, he won't even want a party!  LOL

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristielee79
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM

My daughter will be 9 in September and she wants to have a Hawaiian luau. For my son's 4th bday this week, we went with a sports theme and my younger DD wants to have a princess party in January (we'll see when the time comes). I don't think they are ever too old for a themed party!

steelcrazy
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:34 AM

My oldest is 9 1/2 and he still asks for themed parties.  Last year it was a Steelers party - very easy for me to decorate for since his birthday is in Dec and our house is Steeler central during football season.  We'll see this year if he wants a themed party or not.

momof754
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM

well, my oldest is going to be 9 in september and he still wants a themed party this year. next year, may not. i think you should just ask him every year and see what he says. when he is ready to move on to regular parties without a theme he will tell you

Meli7983
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM

My girls are 7 and 8 and I have always thrown them a themed party.. When they were 4 I let them start picking there own theme.. They love it..

owensmom34
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM

I would probably say by about 10 my kids weren't interested in theme parties, but I think it just depends on each child.  I have boys and they just want a party.  A theme isn't necessary for them.

rronan
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM

My son wanted a destination party for his 10th. We went to a local game/pizza place (like Chuck E Cheese for bigger kids) and that was the theme for him. Now he is talking about next June, and thinks he might want a sports themed party.

Little brother will be 7 right after this baby is born, and he wants a karate themed party. He even found out that they do parties at his karate studio, so a big part of the planning has been done for me already.

jenettyshome
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I would say never.  :)  My aunt, uncle, and cousins still have theme parties for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  lol!  I think it depends on if your kid wants one. 

AmyG1976
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM

when they dont want one anymore... my 14 yr old dd has been to a few themed parties in the past year though like a hawaiian one (cant spell the word I need lol) and a treasure hunt one <~ that one was really cool too.

lizzig
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM

my daughter will be seven next month & has been talking about what theme she wants.  I saw go with the flow.  being a boy he may loose interest in theme parties sooner than a girl will.  I'm sure he'll let you know when he no longer wants them.

KKRice
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I think as they get older the themes change and are more along the lines of doing something fun rather than just having a character cake and decorations.  You have to put more thought into them as they get older.  I would say that once they hit the tweens would be the time when things change.

My son is have a Lego themed party, just straight legos, we will put bins of legos around the living room and allow everyone to build (he has enough of them!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)