Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...hoarding..

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM
  • 16 Replies

what do you think is the best thing to do in some old stuff besides giving in charities?...why is it so hard to throw some things that i know it means something to me..

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lsp0514
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I often look around my SUPER cluttered apartment and ow to either give it away or toss it but when it comes to crunch time I somehow find myself giving reasons to stick it into my storage along with the other years and years of collected junk with memories tied to it....I think we just want to hold onto anything that has ties to our little ones...I know that's why I do it=]  Hae you thought about making them a quilt with their old clothes? That would be one way to keep ahold of some things and have something useful=]

owensmom34
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I try to give stuff away to needy families or friends.  I see if teachers can use stuff for their rooms and the rest I give to Goodwill.

Shellness
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM

It all depends on your personality. My hubby is a hoarder and I am a minimalist. He drives me up the wall and I get rid of his crap when he is not around :) I don't touch his tools though, I'm not that brave.

poetmom4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Finding needy families in your community would be a great way to recycle some of your old things. In this economy there are more people in need than there has been in a very long time so it's not hard to find people who would greatly appreciate what you have to offer.

You can have a garage/yard sale and make a few extra bucks while cleaning out the clutter.

List specific 'lots' of items- example: BABY CLOTHES, KITCHEN ITEMS, Etc- on Craigs List or ebay and earn some money that way.

Just know that no matter who takes the items will be putting them to good use instead of them being boxed up and sitting unused while cluttering up your home.

my4boys2002
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM
I use free cycle I love it gets rid of anything I don't use anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyReal
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I feel like somethings are worth keeping but when in doubt wait a few days and If you can live without it give it away. 

Shellness
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Quoting my4boys2002:

I use free cycle I love it gets rid of anything I don't use anymore

Me too. I love freecycle!

joannakitler
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I do not hoard, but, I do have a hard time throwing away certain things.  Like ANYTHING having to do with my kids from pregnancy to present day.  I kept anything reminding me of them.  Including old magazines that came to my door during my pregnancy or their baby days, positive pregnancy tests, old books, art work, an empty prenatal vitamin pill bottle, clothes, etc.  Eventually I do let things go, but, emotionally, I do have a very hard time.  I feel like if I get rid of it all, I'm throwing away part of their childhood...or certain memories I have of them.  The other day, I took a day out and got rid of tons of books I used to read to them.  I have no use for them now.  They are older and not interested in these books.  But, let me tell you, I was seriously teary-eyed almost the entire time I was sorting.  It just brought me back to an amazing time in my life back when they were that little.  But, I have to tell myself that I am NOW writing a new chapter in my life and I have got to focus on that and let go of some of the past.  So you are NOT alone.

KKRice
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I give our stuff to the Salvation Army, it goes to help needy families and I can use it as a tax deduction.  Since having children I have saved myself a lot of money doing this.

AMom29
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM
Put the stuff in a box, leave it alone for six months. If you never think about it or use it, then you probably won't miss it. Have a garage sale and whatever you don't sell, take to Salvation Army or Goodwill.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)