Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone in your family a HOARDER?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
  • 27 Replies

My hubby was poor when growing up and they didn't have much at all so he seems to want to save everything.  I literally have to get rid of really old clothes when he is not looking because he can't part with it.  Anyone else experience this?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Yeah, my hubby is the same way and I have to do the same thing.  I am a minimalist, so I hate all the clutter and I figure if you have not worn it in a year than you do not really need it.  His Mom is the same too and I am talking food too--she has 50 lbs of garlic frozen.

Brandi61279
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:44 PM

My step-mom is a hoarder - like could be on the TV show type.  Her house is filthy and a fire hazard.  She has a million and one excuses, but the only real excuse is that my brother and I are not her personal slaves anymore so she has to clean herself.  There are these tall mountains of stuff everywhere with walkways in between.  She and my dad almost never have company, because it's too embarrassing, and when people do come over, they have to drive somewhere else (gas station) to use the bathroom. 

NearSeattleMom
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM

My mom has tendencies . . . but not as bad as I see on t.v.  She just has a lot of clutter and clothes.

Moms2NTwins
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 4:10 AM

My MIL was. I didnt see it myself. About the time Dh and I got together she and my FIl both got sick, she stayed with her sister or in the hospital most of the time and my FIL moved in with us. Dh said it was so bad it could have been on one of those tv shows. he said there was just a path to the rooms. My DH is kind of on the "keep it" side but mainly just toys from his childhood that are worth money, and theyre out of the way. My DH had a problem picking up after himself though grrr

zadesmom1998
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 4:24 AM
My 12 yr old ds is one. I have to go in his room once a week and go thru his hiding places. I am terrified of how he will be when he moves out.
wolfmomma30
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

Yeah, my hubby is the same way and I have to do the same thing.  I am a minimalist, so I hate all the clutter and I figure if you have not worn it in a year than you do not really need it.  His Mom is the same too and I am talking food too--she has 50 lbs of garlic frozen.

My husband is the same way with his clothes as well. He has a shirt still hung up from back in the 80s for petes sake. I can understand it was a concert tee but come on now, atleast make it into a throw pillow and use it or give it to the kids. His mother kept alot of things as well. But atleast she had organized clutter if there is such a thing LOL.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:39 AM

My mom's boyfriend is a hoarder. It's horrible.

My husband is kind of but only with computer stuff.

Wish2Be
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM
My mom.
Umm__Rashid
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Personaly I deal with depression and anxiety.  I deal with hoarding issues too...papers are my downfall. Since getting married and having a baby I've had to really watch myself. Now I pick an area every month, go through it and scrap everything I havent used ( financial documents are the exception)...If DH tries to help by throwing away stuff that I havent personaly looked at and thrown in the bag though I just about come unglued worrying that something important has gotten thrown away..

DarthMom001
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I also grew up poor and my husband's dad is a doctor. So I have a tendency to save things and he would rather throw things out and buy them later. But he tries to get me to throw out stuff like the blender because I haven't used it in months or my winter boots because it's not winter. I guess if I suddenly snapped on day I could become a hoarder. But about once a year I purge my closets and drawers, so I think that's healthy. I've watched that show "Hoarders" and it always makes me go clean.

Listen at CD Baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)