• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school vs income

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM
  • 11 Replies
I have a choice to make I can make 300$ a month but the job is a 2hr bus ride so that means dd will be in day care 50hr a week I need the money but I won't be abel to go to my GED/computer classes the day care isn't open that long and I'm not willing to be away from her that much the job is a dead end and I need to get a education so I can make a good life for us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaizynn
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Is there family she can stay with instead of going to a daycare??  I know it is hard to be away from her that long..  But think of the long run..  What you can provide her with.. With an education and a good job...  Sit down and make a list of all the pros and cons of the situation and take it from there.

IsaacsMom15
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Is there a way that you can do schooling online so that you do not have to bring your daughter to day care? And is $300/month worth a 2 hour bus ride? Is there not enough jobs in your area that you do not have to travel that far?

texasmom1800
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:27 AM

$300 a month to me isn't worth the 2 hour bus ride and the 50+ hours away from your daughter.

lizzig
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:37 AM

sounds like you've already made up your mind.  getting your GED will give you an opportunity to make more $$ thus giving you a better life.  with only brining in $300 a month, once you figure in the cost of the bus ride & daycare & the time of your commute you probably won't be bringing anything in.

thebailiffs
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I always vote for schooling, which leads to more money and having accomplished something.

Good luck!

I agree is there something that you can do online?

AmyG1976
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM

sounds to me like the job is not going to work out for you

virgochild79
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Are you sure the job is only $300 a month and not a week? I've never heard of a job paying that a month. That's like $1.87 an hour and if that is correct, you would be making less than what daycare charges and if that's the case, it totally isn't worth sending your DD to daycare or taking that long bus ride. Why don't you take online courses and apply for financial aid. You would be able to keep your DD out of daycare and receive a check every month for way more than $300 a month. Always choose school over a dead end job. With an education, the money will follow! Keep faith and good luck to you!

ms.jenny10
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM
The job is for cash assistance thru the state and on top of the 30hr a week and the 4hr daily commute they want me to put in 5 job aps a week I have no prob looking for a job and working the hours its the commute that is going to keep me out of school the online classes cost to much even with the 300$ a month I just can't swing it I have decided to go to school and hope I can find work close by or start getting my cs soon

Quoting virgochild79:

Are you sure the job is only $300 a month and not a week? I've never heard of a job paying that a month. That's like $1.87 an hour and if that is correct, you would be making less than what daycare charges and if that's the case, it totally isn't worth sending your DD to daycare or taking that long bus ride. Why don't you take online courses and apply for financial aid. You would be able to keep your DD out of daycare and receive a check every month for way more than $300 a month. Always choose school over a dead end job. With an education, the money will follow! Keep faith and good luck to you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Quoting texasmom1800:

$300 a month to me isn't worth the 2 hour bus ride and the 50+ hours away from your daughter.

Not worth the money at all all.  Find somewhere more local to make the money.  I made more money working at McDonald's a month then $300.

2rays0fsun
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

idk how the cash assistance thing works but to me it sounds like it's not even worth it. If you can find a diff job even part time minimum wage you probably would bring in more than what the state is offering you + less daycare + have time to do the GED classes. imho the state doesn't always do what's best for us lol and can keep people stuck.  do you have internet at home??  you can put in job apps online at a lot of places like major stores, restaurants and other businesses in your area. so you don't have to do the actual legwork putting in apps.  I wouldn't give up on the school, classes are your ticket to a better life for u & your dd. i wish you the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)