Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to bring with me to the hospital?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

This is my first pregnancy and I'm having a scheduled c-section - just wondering what I should bring with me to the hospital???

Thanks all!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Why you are having a C-section with your first baby.Just wondering. :)

Also id say bring the same thing you would bring for a regular delivery. Comfy clothes, undies, socks, slippers, Bra (Nursing bra if you plan on breastefeeding) toothbrush, hairbrush, etc CAMERA! ;)

NickiNavarro
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Myc-section is next Monday, but it is my second...so I'll tell ya what I know... lol

You don't have to bring it with you, because they will give it to you in the hospital...but have a laxative and gas pills at home. I use Durelex??? for the laxative and Gas X mint flavor. If you stop taking that stuff once you get home you will be really sorry. They will give you jumbo pads and you will need to use them for a a week or two but make sure you have plenty of regular sanitary napkins at home for once the bleeding gets a little lighter. If you are bottle feeding, and you have a special type of bottle you want to use, bring it. The hospital one are really basic and can give the baby gas. Bring a little shampoo and maybe a little make up and stuff. The stuff they have you wash with in the hospital is kinda gross. It's for your hair and body......your last day you may want to make your self feel better. For me...with all the blood and stuff involved....I really wanted to have something nice in my hair and have a little make up. Bring something to wear home....and if they ask if you want them to bind your stomach...say yes! You will also probably want some kind of tummy control undergarments waiting for you at home. The loose skin and jiggle is really uncomfortable for a little while and stabilizing it feels much better. You don't need much while you are there....they provide pretty much everything...just have what you need to bring you and the baby home. Congratulations and good luck!

sirenite
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

well some loose comfy pants and shirt there and for coming back. some clohes for baby not to forget the outft you want baby pictured in. your id. dont forget your cell phone charger.camera. laptop for movies/books/ magezines...whatever entertainmnt while baby is asleep.car seat/blankets for baby.if youre going to bottle feed then bring some tight bras /something to help you not get milk in, if breastfeeding then just you :). congrats

bamababe1975
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I opted for a loose knit dress to wear because even loose knit pants aren't easy to get into at first (pulls on the incision site). Get "granny panties" if you don't already have some so they'll be loose and come up higher, too, and sanitary napkins, too - they give you some, but they don't stay in place (I used Always Overnights). Slippers, bra, hairbrush, something to pull your hair back or twist it up if it's long, camera, book, baby's going home outfit.

coodychan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I had a scheduled C Section for my 1st pregnancy b/c my DD was breech.  I brought slippers, shower shoes, nice large comfy underwear, pajama set w/elastic band that wouldn't dig into my abdomen, and a top that buttoned up since I planned on breastfeeding, nursing bras.   I brought toiletries, camera, phone, laptop, boppy pillow, and clothes for the baby.

mommybug77
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I don't take much with me. I nursed just fine without a bra & it worked best for me. I just wore the netted undies they give you, no use in ruining mine. I brought a maternity outfit to wear home. An outfit to take the baby home in. Basic toiletries, camera.

mommybug77
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

This will be my 4th c-section, they never gave me anything in the hospital for gas or a laxative. They also never asked to bind my stomach.

Quoting NickiNavarro:

Myc-section is next Monday, but it is my second...so I'll tell ya what I know... lol

You don't have to bring it with you, because they will give it to you in the hospital...but have a laxative and gas pills at home. I use Durelex??? for the laxative and Gas X mint flavor. If you stop taking that stuff once you get home you will be really sorry. They will give you jumbo pads and you will need to use them for a a week or two but make sure you have plenty of regular sanitary napkins at home for once the bleeding gets a little lighter. If you are bottle feeding, and you have a special type of bottle you want to use, bring it. The hospital one are really basic and can give the baby gas. Bring a little shampoo and maybe a little make up and stuff. The stuff they have you wash with in the hospital is kinda gross. It's for your hair and body......your last day you may want to make your self feel better. For me...with all the blood and stuff involved....I really wanted to have something nice in my hair and have a little make up. Bring something to wear home....and if they ask if you want them to bind your stomach...say yes! You will also probably want some kind of tummy control undergarments waiting for you at home. The loose skin and jiggle is really uncomfortable for a little while and stabilizing it feels much better. You don't need much while you are there....they provide pretty much everything...just have what you need to bring you and the baby home. Congratulations and good luck!

Mom2jngnc
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM

As little as possible.

-baggy clothes for going home
-nursing bra if you are nursing
-socks/slippers (my feet are always cold)
-hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste,
-glasses/contacts if needed
-a bathrobe that you don't care about (although I've heard after a c-section you only have a fraction of the bleeding)

I used the "disposable" underware they offered, hospital gowns...... that way any "leaking" didn't ruin my clothes.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

quietsmilie
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Chapstick!  I used a ton.  Also, you're favorite (gentle) toiletries - they really helped me feel human again.

coodychan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

This will be my 4th c-section, they never gave me anything in the hospital for gas or a laxative. They also never asked to bind my stomach.

Quoting NickiNavarro:

They gave me colace with every pain pill they gave me since pain meds cause constipation and on top of having the csection, they knew I'd have difficulty w/having a BM.  They did give me gas x when I asked for it b/c of severe gas pains.  They also gave me a support/binding wrap for my abdomen that was such a saving grace!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)