Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you host friends or family for brunch or dinner?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm trying to create and maintain some semblance of a budget here. How often to you have people over for a meal? And how does it affect your budget or vice versa? Thanks!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bamababe1975
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Never. Family all live too far away to invite over regularly, so maybe once a year someone will come, and we don't have friends in the area to come over,either. If we did, we wouldn't host them more than once a month, if that often.

diah
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Not enough....they need to come over more...as far as budget, it does go over what we get for groceries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetT757
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:38 PM
We cook out at least once a week and invite family or friends over... Not usually more than 2 or 3 extra mouths to feed so it really isn't much extra.. We always make alot of food anyway and eat leftovers.. It can get expensive I guess if you're cooking steaks or something but we keep it simple. Hotdogs, hamburgers, pasta or potato salad, and baked beans. And if people want to drink beer, they bring their own. We don't buy sodas either, it's tea or water. Milk or juice for the kiddos. We love having people over and we don't break ourselves doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellness
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM

It is rare for me now. I used to do it more but now it is just for my own children to come over and they are so busy with their lives. Every couple of months is probably the average and its just a regular, although a full course, meal for us. Just a chance to break bread together. You don't have to go all out. It's not about the food really but the chance to get together.

pregowithfifth
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM

we entertain sometimes once a week.  If budget is low we do a potluck type of dinner where everyone brings things either already cooked or we cook everything once everyone is here.  We love to have couples game night we have lots of games but we usually end up playing pictionary or trivial pursuit. 

SweetT757
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM
We also do pot luck on occasions like 4th of July, Christmas, and thanksgiving..

Quoting pregowithfifth:

we entertain sometimes once a week.  If budget is low we do a potluck type of dinner where everyone brings things either already cooked or we cook everything once everyone is here.  We love to have couples game night we have lots of games but we usually end up playing pictionary or trivial pursuit. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Not too often but when we do everyone brings something to the gathering.

billssweety
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Couple of times per month we have a bbq type thing(extra 2-3 families), every Sunday we have an extra 4-8  teenagers between church services, about 6-8x per year we have huge(25+) gatherings.....I just work it into my regular budget and stock up when we go on dogs and burgers, we get buns from the bread store, then we make it a putluck and I will usually just do one side.  Like other moms I only offer tea & water, along with cool aid, they all know if they want soda's or something else they need to bring it (we are a no alcohol family so that isn't an issue).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)