Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving back home....across the county....need some objective advice please :)

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi,

I'm Angie. I am moving back to wa state from mississippi in a couple of weeks, it's a necessity, I need to be back there. I'm struggling with a decision though and would love some objective opinions from you all. My husband and I have an 89 honda accord(it's my husbands, I sold my car when we moved from wa), it has a problem cranking. It cranks in the morning just fine but when we get somewhere and turn it off it wont crank for a couple of hours. Other than that its a pretty good car. I can't make the decision on whether or not to drive back to wa with this car or sell it and fly home. I would hate to break down somewhere between here and there and have to spend the money we have saved for an apartment fixing it. But having a car back home would make things alot easier on us. If we sell it and fly, we would have to take a taxi to a hotel/motel until we could find an apartment. The only one we can afford is in a town that the bus doesn't go to so we would be stuck without a way to get around for job interviews, doctor appts, etc...sometimes my instincts tell me to just drive but then it tells me to just sell the car and get home, atleast I would be back home where my kids are and having to take a bus everywhere wouldn't be the end of the world. What do you all think? I would appreciate any opinions you have right now, I get conflicting advice from my family, his family and my friends. Thank you!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Manda1976
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Keeping the car sounds like the better option right now. 

Is it safe? The only problem is start up?

Do you have a friend that could fix it cheapish?

If you don't have a deadline to get to Wa. and you can take your time you could make sure you plan your trip to stop in interesting places and look around for awhile and eat. Then the car would be ready to go again.  If you are pushed for time.... that would be a different story all together.

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
crysolwert
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM

That's a real tough decision, I think it would be pretty important to have a car to get around in for interviews and alike, but it would be had if you got stranded because of it. Here's a bump for you though.

BUMP

djspacegirl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:18 PM

can you sell it and get a more reliable car?

jaelynn09
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM

thank you everyone. I think we decided on just chancing it and driving back. We have to be out of his moms in two weeks so selling at and getting a better one isnt going to work. We will definitely be better off with a car to get to job interviews and stuff and once it starts it runs pretty good. We fixed alot with it the past few months so hopefully it will be fine if we take our time and baby it. Thank you!

texasmom1800
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I would say try to trade the car in if you can afford to make car payments and drive the new car back to WA.  Air tickets are very expensive.  Good Luck with your move.

singlemomof2nok
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Good luck on your move

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)