• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Think I inadvertently made someone lose their job. :(

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

I had a one-on-one with my manager last week. We talked about my expectations, goals and that sort of thing. At one point, we started talking about work in general. I made the comment that I didn't like that there was so much downtime. She said that she heard that we (the processors) were pretty busy. I said that we have our busy days (about twice a week), but for the most part, there is a LOT of downtime. We're talking upwards of 5 to 6 hours a day of no work. It is the reason why I want to transfer off of this team, even though I like the team itself.

Anyway, I saw them packing up our temp's desk today. She was one of the processors like me, and I asked another teammate about it and she said they ended her assignment because there was not enough work to hire her as a full-time employee. So I guess my comments were an indirect cause of her losing this temp assignment.

I feel bad for her. I wish they could have at least put her in another part of the company. I mean, maybe her temp agency will find her another job here (if that's what she wants). I wasn't thinking that I wanted someone to lose their job when I said that. I just wanted more work, which I know of course my managers have no control over (we're at the mercy of banks, etc).

I hope that she is able to find something else soon.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
singlemomof2nok
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I wonder why they didn't find her another position.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Don't feel bad. If she was hired in as a temp she knew it was not permanent. What you have done though is shown your employee you are trustworthy and know how to do your job.

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

No idea. I guess since she is with a temp agency, she has to go through the whole process  to get a different job in the company. Not sure how it works.

ster00ling
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM

not sure why they wouldn't have moved her to another position unless she just wasn't qualified.  I wouldn't take it personally that she lost her job.  Like others said, she was a temp anyways so she knew going in it might not stick.  I understand you feeling that way though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)