Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sister Wives?????????????

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

Okay, so I will admit, I actually watched the show and liked it. I found myself understanding where they were coming from. I am still confused on one thing though. Why is it only men that can take several wives? Why can't women take several husbands? Now I know that legally you can't do either (the cast of Sister Wives is now under investigation for bigamy), but according to their religion why can't women take several husbands?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

That is an interesting point you make about women not being able to take several husbands.  I never thought about that before....

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

There is a practice called polyandry where a woman taken multiple husbands.  I missed most of the show, I forgot about it, but I am SURE they will be replaying the crap out of it LOL

monshine2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I watched it and loved it... They were very open and honest about how things work & the roles in the family. I can never fully understand sharing your husband with another woman since I wasn't raised that way like they were...

MomX04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Women can take several husbands, but the most common form known is for men to take many wives.

texasmom1800
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I watched it and they are a bunch of freaks and now are being investigated by the Utah police.

Katt709
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

The principle says that it's a man and many wives as far as I know. I think it has to do with "being fruitful" and "multiplying". The more wives there are the more chance there is of having more kids.

I watched it too and while I'm not religeous - right now I could go for that. I'm just so tired. Sharing the responsibility with someone would be nice. I also watch Big Love on HBO when it's on. And there's a movie on Lifetime (soon I think) called teh 19th Wife. It's a book that I read - I'd like to see that movie. 

I don't really get the Illegal aspect. The only two that are really married are the guy (Kody?) and the 1st wife. The others are just committed to them. They have no legal relationship. I know it's illegal to marry more than one person in this country - but they didn't. They've only committed. I just don't really get it. But I haven't read the indictiments or investigation documents so I don't really know what they are charged with. It just seems to me, if adults want to have "open" relationships (which, if you get down to the nitty gritty, these relationships arejust that) then all the more power to them. Key word of course - is adults. But in this case - they all went into this with open eyes. And consented to it. So I don't know why the government would care one way or another.

MomX04
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Quoting texasmom1800:

I watched it and they are a bunch of freaks and now are being investigated by the Utah police.

Aww poor thing.  Must be so nice being narrowminded and pissy about something you know nothing about.

canegirl0700
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I think (although I am not 100% sure) that in their religion it is the treatment and the opinion of his wives that get him into heaven or how highly he will be regarded in heaven. I remember reading something stating this or something similar to this in another group post. I know there have been women that have taken multiple husbands.

MomX04
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Quoting canegirl0700:

I think (although I am not 100% sure) that in their religion it is the treatment and the opinion of his wives that get him into heaven or how highly he will be regarded in heaven. I remember reading something stating this or something similar to this in another group post. I know there have been women that have taken multiple husbands.

Sometimes it is religion based, like this family is, sometimes it is cultural and other times it is just because it is.

virgochild79
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I keep hearing about this dog on show,,,,what station, day and time does it come on? I like watching dysfunctional television LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)