Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting kinda pissed off here...

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm throwing myself a pity party today. Me and my two sons (4 1/2 and 17 months) have been sick with sore throats and coughs for about a month now. I've taken my sons to the peds office a couple times and they just keep saying it's viral and it will run it's course. For a freakin MONTH??? My 17 month old had croup all weekend and they didn't even give him prednisone or anything! "Just take him outside into the cold air and take him to the ER if the cold air doesn't help." He had a double ear infection about 2 weeks before that and it took 3 different antibiotics to knock it out. My 4 1/2 year old has missed so much preschool because he has this persistent congested cough and sore throat. I have to go out a buy another humidifier today because I'm sick of transferring it from one room to the other. And I'm going broke on Lysol!!! Our house just needs hit with a Lysol bomb!!!!!  OK, vent over. I feel better now.   : )

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I'd take the kids to a different dr. 

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Oh and ps...I hope you all start feeling better.  :)

indymom72
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

before you lysol everything try cracking your windows for a few minutes.  I know that it's freezing, but it will help kill off anything that may  be lurking in your house.  I hope you all feel better soon!! :)

yourpassion
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

ewww...i hope you all feel better soon! 

ame4c
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Yeah, I would.  A virus runs it's course in 7 days.  Generally speaking once your body fights it off you don't get it back right away, because your body has built up a defense against it.  This is why flu shots work.  When they give you a flu shot they are really giving you a small dose of the flu.  It makes your body build up a defense so you don't catch it.

Definately take him to a different DR.

ame4c

SoniaL
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Well, my doc doesn't do steroids for croup either. i'm ok with that. I would definitely get everybody on a good probiotic (a refrigerated one not a pill, and not just yogurt). And do an overhaul of how everyone is eating if there is processed food in the house and/or you consume a lot of sugar.  Check for hidden sugars in food as there can be quite a bit in unexpected places. Sugar lowers your immune system.

wolfmomma30
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Quoting ame4c:

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Yeah, I would.  A virus runs it's course in 7 days.  Generally speaking once your body fights it off you don't get it back right away, because your body has built up a defense against it.  This is why flu shots work.  When they give you a flu shot they are really giving you a small dose of the flu.  It makes your body build up a defense so you don't catch it.

Definately take him to a different DR.

I second this!!! and agree about the flu shot. Its sort of like giving your body a prisoner and they post his mug shot throughout your body saying "kill anyone that looks like this."

I hope you all start to feel better soon. There has been an awful case of the whooping cough going around here in indy and soo hope that is not what you all have. Good luck and hope you get a real response soon.

gaelicstorm
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

thebailiffs
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Yes, we have been there, we are still not better and my son is sick again.

kerijeanbean
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I agree that if you have been sick for that long you need to see a different doctor.  There is no reason to be sick for that long.  My son got a 'cold' when he was 5 and half months old.  I kept taking him back and the doctor kept saying he will get better.    When I got bronchitis 2 weeks later and he was getting worse I took him back to the doctor and demanded he do something.  My poor baby was sick for over a month.  It is a good thing his day still took him because I would have lost my job not working for a month.

As for the Lysol, STOP!  You are actually making things worse by using it.  Open a window for 5 minutes to circulate some fresh air and use soap and warm water.  Regular soap.  The antibacterial doesn't work any better than plain old soap and it can actually make you sicker.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)