Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Program: How do you show your softness and strength as a parent?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  • 27 Replies

We asked moms to share their personal stories of how they show their softness and strength as a parent. As a sign of appreciation, we gave Quilted Northern Soft & Strong® Bath Tissue to each mom.

Try Quilted Northern Soft & Strong in your household today! For more information on Quilted Northern Soft & Strong Bath Tissue, click here

How do you show your softness and strength as a parent?

baby in sling                       busy mom

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof2nyc
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM

It's not easy! It's definitely a balancing act! Sometimes my husband takes the stronger parenting role, while I am the softer one. I hate that b/c then the kids think they can get one over on mommy!

sheri305
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Like the mom above said,its not easy sometime.But with me personally,I adjust my parenting depending on the scenerio.If I need to be a little tougher,I put my foot down.And they know to get in line.And on the norm,Im passive and laid back by nature.As long as they are doing what their suppose to,Im cool,and I let them be kids.It just depends ya know.

singlemomof2nok
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I am firm when I need to be, and there to give them a shoulder to cry on or hug if need be. 

jsnzmom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I'm definitely a softer mom.  Lots and lots of hugs and kisses, snuggling, and laughing.  But I do know how to be strong when I need to be.  Saying no and meaning it, handing out punishment if the action warrants it, and sticking to my guns.  But I'm lucky--my kids don't give me much reason to break out the strong side.  My oldest is testing boundaries (he's almost 13) and I have the feeling Strong Mom will be showing herself more in the coming months/years.  I hope we can maintain our good relationship through the tough teenage years.

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I am firm when it is necessary, which isn't very often, but if my son gives me an honest apology for what he has done, i drop it.  My husband has a tendancy to be a little firmer with him than me, but I think if a child really feels sorry about what they have done, then all is forgiven.  But I will always make him sit in a chair before any other punishment.  My husband will on occasion swat his butt, but usally timeout works better.  He ignores a spanking, i find them worthless.  But when i tell him to go sit in a chair and think about what he has done, he really knows he is in trouble.  When he is ready to listen to me and discuss what he did wrong then he can get up, also he is only two and a half so.....

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM

DS is 2 so I feel softer.  He's been through alot with his special needs so that takes alot of strength and patience on my part.

Dannille33
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM
I show my softness by by caring and being always there for them... Hugging them and loving them... Because life would never be the same with out them in my life. My strength is shown daily .. I'm firm and teach them how to be responsible. I fight every day with my disorder and they see I still find a way to smile and make it through the day..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I have four kids . . . so I need four different approaches for each of them . . . and depending on the situation, I need to be either soft or strong!

My 12-year old is very sensitive.  I can just shake my head at him and he's wounded and remorseful.

My teenage boys are at that stage where they know everything . . . so I have to be very firm with them.  They push and push and I have to be strong!

Stormy6669
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I am always there for them when they need me for a hug or a talk. I am stern enough to keep the respect towards me.

shell81
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:48 PM

You have to show them love and support.

I am a friend to my kids but they know I am also the parent!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)