Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure what kind of tour that was!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:14 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have had this on my mind all day -- I just have to share.

Last night the kids and I went over to see my brother's new house. 

My brother and his wife have been 'house hunting' for about 7 years now.  When they bought their first house about 12 years ago - they moved to an area in the middle of nowhere in the country - the house was between the cities they worked in for about 6 months...then SIL got a job in the same direction as where my brother worked....so they've both had quite a commute for a while...not to mention they have their kids in private school in this same general area. 
I can't even guess at how many houses they have gone through with their realtors over the years (yes....realtorS - plural...they've been through several buyer's agents).  They wanted a big house - on a large lot - for under a certain amount --- NOT a possible combination any closer to the city then where they lived.

So - about two months ago - SIL snapped and said they HAD to move...she could no longer handle the long trek into town to do everything.  She complained to a friend - who's husband is a realtor - who had the house right behind them for sale.....long story short - within 2 weeks - my brother & SIL had an agreement of sale.  The settled right before Thanksgiving and moved the day after Thanksgiving. 

We visited their house for the first time last night -- my brother gave DD#1 and I the tour.  The ENTIRE time - my brother just complained about 'problem after problem' with the house.  I swear everything was negative.  Occasionally he would start saying something like -- "We really like this light in the dining room...but - see - there is a scratch on it". 
The sunroom is painted too dark of a color.....the rugs are "a mess" (actually - no they aren't...they aren't awesome - but they aren't old and are in good shape and clean)....the people had too much art on the walls....the lot is too small.....there are too many trees....a previous owner built floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in the one room on an entire wall which are GORGEOUS but they aren't 'perfect' so they have to hire someone to fix them (I swear I looked closely and have NO CLUE what isn't 'right' with the shelves)...etc, etc etc.

It was all I could do to ask why they bought the house if they hate it so much.

I know that they spent the week between settlement and moving painting, cleaning, having carpets replaced, etc.  I know that when you move into a new house -- especially one that you did not have built just for you and you are moving into someone else's "style" that it will not be a perfect fit.  But - seriously if you can't find ONE good thing to say about a house...WHY BUY IT!

It was truly the most bizzarre tour I have ever been on of someone's new house.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
foxyloxy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Uh oh! That sounds like the reason it has taken 7 years to find one!

I wouldn't worry...you can probably put them down in ink in your address book. It will probably take them another 7 years to find the next house! ~lol and sigh!

What did you think of it ...if you could have wandered through by yourself? Do you think it was nice and they could be happy there?

If you can find ways to compliment the home it might make him feel better. Although I know fault finding people and they can turn a compliment around by finding another fault in less than 2 seconds flat! I just hope the rest of the visit was nice. That definitly was one crazy tour!

hoping2stayhome
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:35 PM
They just need to buy a lot and build their own house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:39 AM

It is a very nice house....very pretty - well built - lots of interesting details.  It is too big fo my taste (which is funny since I have a family of 7 - my brother has a family of 4)....but, to each their own on that one.

I was VERY positive going through it with him -- I really do think it is a lovely house.

My brother and his wife have always been negative people - so the fact that they are focusing on the 'faults' in this house doesn't surprise me too much.  It was just a very strange evening. 

Quoting foxyloxy:

Uh oh! That sounds like the reason it has taken 7 years to find one!

I wouldn't worry...you can probably put them down in ink in your address book. It will probably take them another 7 years to find the next house! ~lol and sigh!

What did you think of it ...if you could have wandered through by yourself? Do you think it was nice and they could be happy there?

If you can find ways to compliment the home it might make him feel better. Although I know fault finding people and they can turn a compliment around by finding another fault in less than 2 seconds flat! I just hope the rest of the visit was nice. That definitly was one crazy tour!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)