Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do parents stay at or drop off their kid at a 6 yr olds birthday party? PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM
  • 35 Replies

My sister is having her daughters 6th birthday party (her daughter is in kindergarten) and she is inviting everyone from her class. 

The birthday party is going to be at a party house in our local park that has a carousel attached.  The party will be for 2 hours.

She asked me if she should put on the invite that parents can drop their kid off and specify what time the party is over. OR if she should specify that the parents are asked to stay with their child during the party.

I have never had "class" parties for my kids, only family parties.....so i don't really know.

What do you think?

by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadeyazi
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM

that is alot of kids to look after yourself, I would say that parents need to stay, but I am a mom who will not leave my child in that situation! I go along on them all, 6 is to young to be alone at a party.

happymeal-it-is
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Thanks =)

Quoting jadeyazi:

that is alot of kids to look after yourself, I would say that parents need to stay, but I am a mom who will not leave my child in that situation! I go along on them all, 6 is to young to be alone at a party.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Quoting jadeyazi:

I agree.  At 6 the parents should probably stay.

love makes the world go round
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I think it really depends on where it is at and how many are coming. Last year at my DD 6 yr Birthday party we had it Dino Land(where i made a note about parents staying and I am not responsible for there children) and then we had a couple kids to our house the next day(they stayed with out there parents).

rebeccasmly
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I've had parents stay at that age. Some parents haven't. I've always stayed with my children when they attended a party at that age.

Mom2jngnc
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I have only had 1 parent stay with all the parties I have hosted.

For my now 8 yr old, I hire my teenage baby sitter to help with crowd control, craft etc....So I always have enough hands for teh crowd we invite.

momof754
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM

i always tell the parents directly on the invitation they are more than welcome to stay if they choose. that way they dont feel obligated to stay or feel uncomfortable leaving

jlm2676
by Jen on Dec. 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM
For DD's 6th birthday we had it at a bowling alley and most of the parents stayed and a couple left. They let me know they were leaving so I made sure to keep my eye on them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owensmom34
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

If they have help I usually just come back and pick up my child.  If I feel uneasy about the situation I stick around.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Dec. 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

For that age at a park....as a parent, I would stay (even if the invite didn't ask parents to stay).

I would assume that for Kindergarteners -- most times the parents would stay anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN