Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The kindness of strangers (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM
  • 4 Replies

I shall preface this by saying I live in TX. Now it does get cold in this part of TX (despite popular belief of otherwise), however it doesn't typcally get this cold. Right now it's -9F with a wind chill of -27F.

After work, I went to Walmart because I wanted to buy boots, long-johns and warmer gloves, because they were predicting a nasty snow storm for tonight. Found boots for my son, but none for me, go figure. Anyway, I finished up my shopping after a couple of hours (yeah, impending snow storm and I still take forever) and go out to my car after paying. I got the trunk open, just fine and got the car loaded. But when it came to opening the door, I couldn't press the button on my remote because my hands were so numb from the cold. I even tried taking my glove off to do it and I still couldn't. At one point, my glove even blew away (thankfully I caught it). I went back inside to wait and try to warm up a little bit before attempting again.

By this point I was in near tears and sat on a bench. At this point, two women saw me and came up to me and asked what was wrong. I explained that I was too cold to open my car door. They offered to drive me to my car (their family was pulled up to the front of the store in their SUV). They did so and helped me unlock my door.

I'm really grateful to them for their help. Can't say I run into many people like that. :)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JennyMarie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:25 AM

That was so nice of them. I live were it is cold a lot of the winter like that.

sweetsurprise13
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM

That was very nice of them and I am so happy that you got the help you needed!! Stay warm!

Stormy6669
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:50 AM

No you don't. Glad you got in your car.

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:56 AM

That's awesome. I'm glad you made it into your car. Meanwhile, SHEESH, that's COLD. Good for you momma, I couldn't do it. I need the warmth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)