Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BIG Decision for my son. What to do????? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son was born 15 days after most schools deadlines to start school so he had 2 yrs of HeadStart and even there he was ahead of all the other students. We tried for the last 3 yrs to either have my son moved up in grades or get him into a charter school. He has so much trouble being good when he is bored to death. The teacher has given him plenty of extra work to do to keep him busy.  He always seems to get in trouble.

I finally get the phone call this morning that there is an opening at the Charter School. Now Hubby and I need to decide to take our son out of school in the middle of the year. There are a lot of factors to decide. It IS the best thing for our son to go to this school, he would be bussed to and from school so we would have to find out where and time the bus would pick him up/drop off. His sister, in Kindergarten, would still be going to the other school and I am the one who picks up my kids and my neighbors kids after school. There is NO garantee that she would be "Sistered in" next school year.  There is so much to think about but I know the most important is what is best for our son and to work around what is best for him.  He is not shy at all so I know he will make friends fast.

Oh man what to do????


We are going for it. We sat Tripp down and talked to him last night. He is kind of reluctant to go but we explained how it would be better for him, read to him reviews of the school of how happy kids are and he said he would be willing to give it a shot.  We also told him if he doesn't like we can put him back at his old school but feel he will do a lot better academically at this school. I am going to buy him an address book so on his last day we can ask the teacher if he can pass it around and get all his friends phone numbers. Tripp was kind of upset about our decision and did start to tear up, which made my heart break. Then on his way to CCD Class I said to him he can still play with his friend Ty (across the street) and he was like "What??? I thought we had to move?" I said "No silly we will stay where we are at you will just be at a new school"  That made him feel a lot better. We are just waiting for everything to come in the mail now and get everything situated. I am so nervous and anxious. I just hope this will change his behaviors if it doesn't then we do know it wasn't boredom. I have to go up to the school today to put Lexi in for the Lottery for next year. I really do hope she get Sistered in but that will suck for my neighbor because she will need to find someone to pick up her kids.

Rayna (Pronounced Renee)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

well I owould find out the bus scheduling and the the time school is in session and then make it all work. If you know this is the best way for him then do it for him.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I don't see a reason not to.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I'd send him to the new school.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I would go for it if you feel it is the best thing for him. Good luck.

by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Send him. Don't pass up the chance. Who knows when they will have another opening. He would get more one on one teaching due to the smaller classes. That will help keep him from getting in troble cause he'll be too distracted. If he is already enrolled at the end of the year he will be already enrolled for the next season. Also if there is an opening in his sisters grade, sibling of already exsisting students are offered the spots first. As far as the bus, That will help him to learn more responabilty, and highten his self-esteem in the long run.                           

good luck

by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Well you said this is something you go for it and sort out all the other things too...he will do so much better I am sure

Good luck

 - Neely

by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:17 AM


by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM
I'm happy for you and your son! Its sounds like this will be a great thing for him! I hope your daughter can go there as well. Don't worry about your neighbor..she will have time to find someone..just let her know ahead of time. Congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Good luck, I hope your son adjusts well.

by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I think you made the right descision. It gonna be tough with two different schools but you will figure it out.

Oh bless his little heart! He though he had to move! Poor kiddo. No wonder he started to get upset.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)