Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am asking for OPINIONS not DONATIONS. - Am I wrong for this? PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM
  • 36 Replies

My son Steve has an incredible opportunity to go to Spain in Feb of 2012. The trip is going to cost us $2,306. At a class meeting the teacher Ms. Fouts had asked for all of the parents to do everything possible to help  the class reach their goal. 

Once there is a head count of how many students will be able to go, the teacher and students will come up with fundraising ideas to help bring the cost down. One of the things the teacher suggested was for the parents to talk with their children about possible ways we can come up with some of the money on our own. One of the suggestions was to set up a online donation site.

At first I was against it because, well I guess its pride. I am usually the one to HELP people and not ask for HELP. But the more I thought about it, I realized that it would be a probably once in a life time trip for my son and if I didint max out every opportunity and I couldn't come up with the money I would hold myself responsible for the rest of my life. 

So last night I caved and  I started this site, http://sendsteventospain.chipin.com/send-steven-to-spain Well I get an ANGRY phone call from my Aunt, who is in the midst of cancer treatments telling me that I am selfish for asking people to donate money so my son can go on a trip. That as a mom I should be the one to make these sacrifices NOT other people. That if I cannot come up with the money my son should not be able to go.

I feel conflicted... am I wrong for doing this?

I spoke to my son, and he is going to be giving half of his summer youth check towards his trip. He will be paying me back by staying on the honor roll and doing what he has to do as far as school and home life. 

EDIT I have posted the link on my facebook page and sent it to friends and family memebers. I am not asking random people to help us out. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

My neice has the chamce to go to spain next year to. But her parents can not afford it. Good luck

Jaimeslove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

oh man, I hope something happens GREAT so she can make it. 

Quoting kyledavidsmom:

My neice has the chamce to go to spain next year to. But her parents can not afford it. Good luck

Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
Mandymb
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM

No I don't think its ok to ask family members to help. If you can't afford it you can't afford it. Just one of lives lessons for your son. I hope you can make it work though.

What about putting tax return money aside for the trip?

our3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I dont think your wrong.  The donation websites are there for people to use. You'r not holding a gun to anyones head and making them pay. Some people like to go to those websites and pick kids to help out. My Aunt is one of those people, she'll donate $20 here and there with kids school trips, wish lists, or what haev you. This is a once in a lifetime chance, I think you should ignore your Aunt. Sounds as though she is upset at her own situation and is taking out on you. Good luck, I hope he gets to go.

choco_mom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I"m kind of torn, I think fundraisers would be a better way to go.  Just asking for money might upset some people, I'm not sure how I would feel if I got a request like this.

Maybe this is somethign you should do after some fund raisers and some savings on your end first??  Maybe later in the year?

ArmyWifeJennRN
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I don't think it's wrong of you to ask...if people don't want to donate, they don't have to.

our3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Ok, well since you added the edit. I still dont think your wrong, but that might make people feel obligated since your only asking friends and family. I would make it more anonomous and leave it open to the public as well.

saladgirl71
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I would do the fundraisers.  We did these when we were kids and it made us appreciate it that much more.  We did car washes, candy sales, talent shows, whatever we had to do to earn money for trips and other events that had to be paid for.

I don't think that the donation site is selfish, but I think that having the child come up with ideas to earn the money will give them ownership in the trip and will make them feel a sense of accomplishment.

Jaimeslove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

i feel awkward asking like random people... you know... i have never asked my family for anything. if we dont have $$  for something we dont do it or get it... today my son and I are going to brainstorm about some odd jobs he can do. I was thinking he can post up flyers to be an errand boy. 

He is such a  good kid, caring, great student, helpful - he deserves this. 

Quoting our3:

Ok, well since you added the edit. I still dont think your wrong, but that might make people feel obligated since your only asking friends and family. I would make it more anonomous and leave it open to the public as well.

AmyG1976
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

No, your not wrong it is their money to donate if one dont want to donate they dont have to. So long as ya know your not stalking ppl down and or begging them all or telling everyone they HAVE To help him.  Would I do it idk prob not but idk I am not in your shoes so I cant say for sure only that I dont think I would. but TO each his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)