Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have a strict upbringing growing up

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 28 Replies

or no,or somewhere in between?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri305
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Yep,very strict and sheltered.

southerenmama
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM

More along the lines of abusive.

sheri305
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Quoting southerenmama:

*Hugs*

our3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Yes and No. My mom was emotionaly and physically abusive but only when my dad was drunk passed out. So I think I just got the blunt of her being upset with my dad. My dad let us do what ever we wanted as long as mom didnt find out, and mom grounded me for everything, including leaving a sock behind in the bathroom. So depending on the day it was either a free for all or watch out.

tnelle8
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I had an incredibly strict upbringing....that led me to be an extreme people pleaser. I never wanted to let anyone down. Then, this past year I made some decisions that were unpopular and now no one in my family will even speak to me.

sweetsurprise13
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM

yep just as you said strict and sheltered.  

My mom sheltered me until they divorced and then she tried even more and the my father was very strict.

sweetsurprise13
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I am sorry you had such a childhood.  that is just wrong.  hugs.

Quoting southerenmama:

sheri305
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Quoting tnelle8:

I had an incredibly strict upbringing....that led me to be an extreme people pleaser. I never wanted to let anyone down. Then, this past year I made some decisions that were unpopular and now no one in my family will even speak to me.

Well good for you,and thats their loss.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM

very strict

goorob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Pretty strict, much more strict then any of my friends, but I have to say me and my siblings are all successful and self sufficient and most of my family (cousins) and friends are not...I'm raising my kids in much the same way I was raised but we do much more as a family - a lot more day trips like to the zoo and hiking and stuff but the boys know to tow the line also.  Spankings, yelling, grounding, taking toys away happen routinely in our house but the boys know we love them also same as when I was growing up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)