Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Car

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM
  • 19 Replies

What was your first car? Who paid for it? Have you thought about how your childs first car will come about?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Owl_Feather
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM

'75 vw bus :) Dad bought it for me before I even got my license. My sister drove it when she was in college. I miss it so much!

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Grand am and i paid for it myself.

sweetsurprise13
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

it was a 94 ford taurus that was red. I bought it from my dad when i was 21.  

our3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I had a 1983 Mercury Topaz, I paid $500 for it and earned the money working at McDonalds. The only thing my parents did was drive me to go buy it, lol. As for my kids, I would like to be able to match them dollar for dollar with the purchase of a first car. From my experience with cars breaking down, I hope the kids can afford something a little better than a bottom of the barrel beater.

Mine was like the one in the pic but white.

1984–1985 Mercury Topaz GS sedan

our3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Owl_Feather:

'75 vw bus :) Dad bought it for me before I even got my license. My sister drove it when she was in college. I miss it so much!

That would have been cool, lol. My little sister wants a VW bug (old style) when she gets her license.

baby1love
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM

'78 Grand Prix it was given to me by my grandparents in '94. I drove it till it fell apart in '98. LOVED THAT CAR!!!

goorob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM

First car I drove was an 82 buick century station wagon, it was not mine it was my parents and I was allowed to drive it to school and back.

First car I owed was a 98 Saturn SL2, I paid for it 100%, my parent's would not even co-sign so I could get a lower interest rate since I had almost no credit history.

My kids will pay for their 1st car, dh and I will likely have a car available to them to use when they are 16 but it won't be their car, just like my parent's did with us, they will have to pay for their own insurance and part of the gas they use, we'll pay maintenance since it will be our car.  They will have to ask permission to take it anywhere, it will not just be at their disposal to use when they want.  My parents had 4 cars for 5 drivers, who ever had the most important appointments got a car and we had to drop each other off/pick each other up and run errands for our parents (the 2 extra cars were old and pieces of crap but ran well).

unisus33
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM

My first car was a Ford Explorer. My husband and I paid for it. I don't know what my kid's cars will be when they are old enough to drive.

froghopper
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM
mine was a brand new geo metro. My parents co-signed and paid for my insurance for about 6 years until i got married....i guess i was a lil spoiled :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kintop
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM
RX7 and I had to half the the down payment. I also had to pay the car payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)