Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do they test for ADD and ADHD???

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

I know I probably sound like a hypochondriac right about now since my last post was about my 3yo possibly having type 1 diabetes. She is getting tested Monday. However in that same time I have got to do something with my 7yo DS. Today was my last straw with him and his behavior.

Before he got on the bus and while I was getting my 3yo changed, he proceded to try and stab his 6yo brother with a butter knife ( thank goodness all the sharp knives are out of reach) simply because his younger brother didn't want to share his drink. When he walked out he immediately goes for the ice and flings it everywhere almost if he had a craving to destroy things. I pulled him away but he would go back in doing it. Then he tried to throw ice at his older sisters face because she told him to stop whining about his fingers hurting.

I just can't take much more. It doesn't matter what type of discipline I give him. If I send him to his room he punches or makes holes in the wall. Time out has to be a place with absolutely nothing but even then he will bang his head repeatedly. He can't concentrate enough to do his homework and its like pulling teeth to get him to do one sheet.

From reading on webmd, this might be more than add or adhd but all destructive behaviors associate with them. So I need to atleast get the first step done.

I am just curious though as to how they test them?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I am not for sure.

wolfmomma30
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I am wondering if its just a lot of cognitive tests and then maybe a MRI to see how the brain is functioning, maybe?? When he had sensory issues they did cognitive testing. Someone hopefully will have the answer soon.

sheri305
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Bump

Kallie16
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM
My daughter was diagnosed with adhd at the age of 6. She was never violent though. We had to fill out surveys with questions regarding behavior and school work. Then we met with a neurologist who reviewed the information. The only physical test performed was after the diagnosis to check for epilepsy and seizure disorder that can be aggrevated by the medication. have you shared your concerns with your pediatrician or the school?
ambcutie24
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM

bump

orcadarwin
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM

When my son was tested, all it was was paperwork and a visit with the doctor.  I had to fill out tons of papers asking all kinds of questions about his behavior and things.  At the visit with the doctor, the doctor asked him to do some things and asked him a few questions.  That was all.

Quoting wolfmomma30:

I am wondering if its just a lot of cognitive tests and then maybe a MRI to see how the brain is functioning, maybe?? When he had sensory issues they did cognitive testing. Someone hopefully will have the answer soon.

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.
HeathersRich
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM
take him to a psychologist. They will have his teachers and you fill out a Conners Scales or similiar survey. Based on your answers the will give you a diagnosis. My 10 yr old is ADHD and was diagnosed at 7. He is a very angry little boy but mostly wanted to hurt himself not others. My son also has psychological testing done but most kids don't need to. It sounds like your son might have a mood disorder which I have been told by a few psycholigists my son has or
ODD which I was told by 1 psych my son has. Lots of the disorders overlap which is why i'll tell you go to a psychologist not a pediatrician. Good luck momma.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Butterflymama31
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

My psychologisty tested my son and I was tested as well.  It's a lil different for the kids, it's a computer test kinda hard to explain.  It randomly pops up letters at different intervals and speeds. They are to tap the spacebar on all letters but X.  Its been explained before and I'm still not sure how it works.  My son tested 100% after he was made to do it a second time (simply because he didnt follow directions, it wasn't necessaryu but we were working on forcing the "following directions" issue).  The adult part is 2 parts an hour in a counseling session, and 1-2 hrs on the comp. answering 500 yes/no questions and the letter test.  

My opinion would be to start by taking your son to a good child therapist or psychologist.  I've had so many BIG issues with my son and therapy has been so good for him.  Good luck! and know that you are not alone...

Butterflymama31
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about the paperwork part.  You can just go to the doc and they will more than likely give him meds as long as he meets the requirements. I wanted my son tested by my psychologist to make sure since it was covered by insurance.  I didn't want a dr that wasn't specialized medicating my son without knowing all that was wrong with him.  As it is he has severe ADHD he now has his own psychiatrist since my recent divorce and all the continuing problems w his dad.

Quoting HeathersRich:

take him to a psychologist. They will have his teachers and you fill out a Conners Scales or similiar survey. Based on your answers the will give you a diagnosis. My 10 yr old is ADHD and was diagnosed at 7. He is a very angry little boy but mostly wanted to hurt himself not others. My son also has psychological testing done but most kids don't need to. It sounds like your son might have a mood disorder which I have been told by a few psycholigists my son has or
ODD which I was told by 1 psych my son has. Lots of the disorders overlap which is why i'll tell you go to a psychologist not a pediatrician. Good luck momma.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM

My dd was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 7. Her pediatrician diagnosed her. I had to fill out a bunch of paper work and so did those who were with her regularly, like teachers and daycare personnel. Then the doctor looked over the paper work and she was diagnosed with it. They have to meet certain criteria to be diagnosed. It is probably in the DSMV. I still think my dd had Sensory integrative disorder, not ADHD but they tend to look very similar.

When my dd was 13 we had her see a psychologist for issues with low self esteem and other things. Her psychologist changed her diagnosis to ADD, since she didn't have the hyperactivity, and GAD.

Talk to your son's doctor about any and all concerns you are having. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)